portable AC/heat

I am considering buying a portable AC/heating unit for my 400 sq ft shop. Any recommendations on brands to consider or to not consider? thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dan-o

I just purchased a Fujitronic FA 1300 portable AC unit. My shop is a very well insulated loft. My home is part of a homeowners association that prohibits window and thru the wall units, so a portable with two 5 inch ducts complies.

I have found that I need very little heat in winter (Philadelphia weather) because the lights, dust collector and motors add significant heat. Conversely my cooling load is substantial, which is why I went with a dual tube 13,000 btu/hr unit.

I've had the unit about a month and it works well. I keep a eye on the dust filter and expect to have to blow out the coils periodically although not yet. The unit does cool well. Before the unit I could not work in the loft in the summer. Now it has been used almost daily.

I purchased my unit from the brilliant store based on price plus shipping, no other experience, but the transaction was fine.

Reply to
Howard

What size is your loft? How do you exhaust?

Howard wrote:

Reply to
Joseph Connors

The loft is about 14 by 24 feet. It faces South and is under the roof. The roof space is ventilated and insulated @ R30.

The portable AC has a 5" inlet and 5" outlet hose. Right now I'm using the window adapter (supplied with the AC) so all that shows is two 5" holes in a slighty opened window. In the fall they will be piped into my soffit so there will be no noticeable vents.

Reply to
Howard