PORRINGER TABLE

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id 33
I seldom eat porringer myself, I usually eat oatmeal. I didn't know there were special tables to eat it from either. Amazing, some of the things you learn.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
That table on the floor has one of the ugliest tops I've ever seen. I'd deem it unfit for eating porriger on! --dave

The table with the "ears" on the corners?
No-one really knows what they were for. Personally I support that theory that they were for standing a candlestick on and keeping it out of your elbows - maybe whilst playing cards.
IMHO this is the ugly one http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/oleyshop_1875_4907685 Pointless ears that ape the shape of the orginal tables yet are far too small to have any function at all.
If you're going to repro any of these though, do yourself a favour and read Norm Vandal's excellent book on Queen Anne furniture first. Jeffrey Greene's 18th century furniture book is good too.
Thu, Dec 8, 2005, 11:14pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net (DaveJackson) is offended: That table on the floor has one of the ugliest tops I've ever seen. I'd deem it unfit for eating porriger on!
Actually, I understand that's a very popular design. Plans are available from Disney.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.