Popular Woodworking Miter Saw stand

I wonder if anyone who reads this group has built the miter saw stand on the Popular Woodworking website. The plan is at

am building it now. The plans calls for an integrated vacuum that turns on when the saw is turned on. The vacuum is connected to the dust collection port (or should I call it the "created dust port") on the miter saw. I am inclined to skip this part of the project as I think most of my dust bypasses the dust collection port and just blows out the back of the saw. I was planning to attach a Big Gulp dust hood or something like it to the rear of the stand. Before doing all that I hope to hear from someone who has built this miter saw stand and has some experience using it.

TIA.

Dick SNyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Dick,

I built this stand about a year ago with some custom modifications for me. I did leave out the dust collection portion of it as, even if I have a shop vac hose hooked up to the dust collection port on my Craftsman 12" saw, most of the sawdust does end up blowing out the back of the saw. The included dust collection bag needs to be emptied rarely.

The plan is great though and the stand has held up so well that I built others similar in concept to accomodate a large sanding unit, a scrollsaw and, of course, my pride and joy router table.

For the miter saw plan though I added a rigid fence on each "wing" to keep the work piece in line with the saw's fence and I added a T-track on the top of each rigid fence piece to add a floating stop gauge.

Good Luck

John

-------- Original Message -------- news:wIOdnXlBHtI7fv7enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com

Popular Woodworking website. The plan is at >

> > I am building it now. The plans calls for an integrated vacuum that turns on when the saw is turned on. The vacuum is connected to the dust > collection port (or should I call it the "created dust port") on the miter saw. I am inclined to skip this part of the project as I think most of my dust > bypasses the dust collection port and just blows out the back of the saw. I was planning to attach a Big Gulp dust hood or something like it to the rear > of the stand. Before doing all that I hope to hear from someone who has built this miter saw stand and has some experience using it. > > TIA. > > Dick SNyder

Reply to
JJ

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

What are the miter slots used for; just to hold a stop block? If so, it seems to me that a clamp would be an aweful lot cheaper and just as easy.

Reply to
Toller

Hi JJ,

If you have them, could you post some pictures of what you did on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? I'd love to see the modifications that you made.

Thanks.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Hi Darrell,

How do you attach the big gulp to your saw? I couldn't tell from the website.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

It is attached with clamps to the adjustable table. There is a brace made from some scrap plywood and the Big Gulp is screwed to the brace. I then take a couple of small bessey, jorgys or spring clamp and clamp to the back of the table behind the saw. I've added a couple of hastily taken pictures:

Brace:

Clamp:
mounted:
this helps. I forgot to add that I really like the stand. It is very versatile and gets used a lot. I didn't build the fence as in the plans. I didn't want to loose an cutting capacity. I have been intending to do a write up for my web site, but have yet to get a "Round Tuit". So far I've just loaded the pictures.

I've hooked a shop vac up to the saw before and found it useless. I wasn't about to send money on a dedicated vac plus controls for the stand for marginal performance. The Big Gulp with dust collector is much more effective.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Thanks for the pictures Darrell. Very clear.

Reply to
Dick Snyder