poplar wood strong enough for hanging?

I'm not sure if this is the right news group...but here it goes. I'm a newbie at doing this stuff.
I want to hang some stuff on a finished garage wall. I was thinking of putting a wood strip, horizontally to hang various items on hooks such as a couple of ladders, garden tools, etc.. mainly it's a support piece in between the studs.
Is 1x2 poplar wood strong enough? I was thinking of attaching this board with 1 or 2 wood screws every 16 or 32 inches on each stud. Is every 32" sufficient? Is 1.5" screw into the wood stud good enough(will add screw length for the wood and drywall)? can I get by with 1" net of screw into the wood stud?
I know 2x4 would do the job....but i was looking for a lower profile board(ie 1") to stick closer to the wall and look perhaps better.
Any advice would be great. Thanks!
-joe

just about as strong. Put a 3 inch long #10 screw into every stud. Jim
On 5 Jun 2006 14:54:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Phew! From the title of your post I thought you were an executioner :-)
To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com
John
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

1x4 or 6x3/4 will do. Use at least 2 2-1/2" screws per stud, or 2 3" nails.
There's no way I would hang a ladder of 1x2 of anything, except aluminium or steel :-)
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

I think he means storing the ladder by hanging it on the wall, not hanging it to climb on.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Peter Huebner wrote:

On 6 Jun 2006 15:48:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I can't see why you'd bother putting up a board for the ladder hooks. Just run the hooks straight into the studs and be done with it.
-Leuf
It's a one piece U hook with 2 legs. There are 4 mounting holes....about 3 inches apart such that it's designed to attach to a horizontal x4 board. I'm trying to store the ladders vertically, hence the reason for a hanging board. There are fire boards running horizontally between studs, but not wide enough for this purpose nor at the right height.