Poplar strength in bending

Yes I know I've posted this treadmill question to death, but I'm all about ressurection.

I never did get a chance to go and get some oak to replace that treadmill deck, but I got all this poplar sitting around from my table mock up.

Would poplar split and break in an environment like a treadmill? I seem to remember that it isn't very bendy strong but overall is quite stable. I'm thinking to myself, "Hmm, I'll get this 13/16th poplar deck installed and it will feel solid as a rock. Then running on it will cause it to crack and split because it's bending - better stick to my original plan and use white oak." Am I being uncharitable here? I think I estimated it was about a 4 foot span between supports.

Reply to
Eigenvector

At this point, it would seem to be your best course to go out and try your ideas.

Endless speculation by those here that are sincerely trying to help you don't know your talents in joining wood, your knowledge of tools or their availability, the quality of your wood stock, or your overall skill level in building.

My personal advice (take it for what it's worth) is that since this had been bandied about already, why don't you go out to the shop, give it a whirl with the material of your choice and let us know how you did?

Not trying to be critical here, but you can work yourself into such a hole planning the project you never make it to the shop to do the work.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

At this point, it would seem to be your best course to go out and try your ideas.

Endless speculation by those here that are sincerely trying to help you don't know your talents in joining wood, your knowledge of tools or their availability, the quality of your wood stock, or your overall skill level in building.

My personal advice (take it for what it's worth) is that since this had been bandied about already, why don't you go out to the shop, give it a whirl with the material of your choice and let us know how you did?

Not trying to be critical here, but you can work yourself into such a hole planning the project you never make it to the shop to do the work.

Robert

On a superficial level I was already thinking this same thing. Because you're right, I have talked this to death already.

I think in my mind I really hate the idea of wasting trees. I like my projects to have some meaning and don't like to butcher a piece of wood on a lark, because to me that's wasting resources and contributing to deforestation.

What the heck, it's only 8 board feet of lumber.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Do it, and tell _us_.

You've got it laying around! Have some fun!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Well.... you have to learn on something. Better to practice on a renewable relatively inexpensive wood than something like cherry or walnut.

Looking forward to it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:9f816468- snipped-for-privacy@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Plus, there's nothing that says you can't use the learning piece for something different later on. I'm good at reusing old pieces and looking through material for the piece with the least waste.

*trim and snip*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well.... you have to learn on something. Better to practice on a renewable relatively inexpensive wood than something like cherry or walnut.

Looking forward to it.

Robert

Well the deck is drying now. I glued the shishamole out of it, which on consideration I wonder was a mistake, but at any rate I have the deck in clamps waiting. I figure on Wednesday I'll drill holes for the hardware and mount it up Still need to grab 3 cross braces to hold it together and take the load off the glued edges.

If it lasts it will be a thing of beauty, but even if it doesn't at least it won't weight a ton like that MDF monster that's on it now.

Reply to
Eigenvector