poplar stained ....

Don't ask why, but I have a refinished older dresser with a couple of pieces of poplar that are viewable, and have been stained with an ebony-colored stain. My design consultant -- sister, not SWMBO -- was wondering if we can PAINT over the stained wood and get decent adhesion with the PAINT? thanks in advance.

My mother's a big fan of refinishing things using Formby's furniture stuff. You may want to try that to help with your painting task. (Or you may find it's a piece worth keeping stained...)
Puckdropper

LarryLev wrote:

If you're PAINTING it with a dark color, apply a coat of Zinsser Seal Coat first. If you're going light, replace the Seal Coat with BIN. Either is available at _good_ paint stores, and some home centers.
Both are shellac based sealers, BIN is pigmented white, Seal Coat is clear. Clean your tools with ammonia or denatured alcohol. They dry very fast, don't over brush and practicing on cardboard or some scrap wood is suggested. BIN and Zinsser Clear Spray Shellac (it's actually sprayable Seal Coat) are also available in aerosol cans, if that's an easier way to apply it in your case.
All of the products I've mentioned can be overcoated with most any PAINT.