Poplar Plywood=NFG

Got a gift certificate to the Borg and went there to get some plywood for a painted project.

They had some poplar plywood that I hadn't seen before. I figured solid poplar is good for painting so poplar plywood must be good too.

This stuff is total garbage. The face is barely thicker than tracing paper and when I went to rout the rabbit for the back the face and a few more layers went with it. Don't know what it cost because they couldn't find the price so they charged me $25 for a sheet of 3/4. Luckily I'm painting this and the damage was on the inside where the toys will go so I just sanded it smooth and primed it.

The only way I could keep it from splintering was to run the router the wrong way which was a little nerve racking but it worked better. The splintering occurred when I was going with or against the grain of the veneer. Was it me?

So I'm not being totally negative I tried some Aruco (sp?) plywood from big blue and it was pretty good and only about $40 for 3/4. More plys than the Birch or Oak that they had. Is Aruco a type of wood?

Reply to
RayV

I bought a couple sheets of 1/2" poplar plywood. Cheapest plywood in the store. Just using it for garage shelving. It cuts cleanly with a laminate/plywood blade.

Reply to
Jim Hall