Poplar instead of pine?

I have to replace exterior boards around a window and was wondering if poplar or sasafrass would work instead of pine. Will primer and paint hold well to either one of them or should I stick with pine?
Thanks

Dunno about sassafras... but poplar works great. In my part of the world (central Indiana), poplar is very common as exterior trim on older homes, probably because the wood is very readily available here. I've used it before many times. It paints very well, better than pine.
--
Regards,

I used poplar to trim out my house a while back. Huge mistake. I was plagued by rot and eventually had to replace it all.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I used tulip (yellow) poplar to side my shop (board and batten). That was over a decade ago, and the only problem was an infestation of termites that I had taken care of earlier this year. My shop is unpainted (keeps the RE taxes down). The termites around here will eat treated landscape timbers if the treatment isn't perfect. I help someone repair a tack shed almost 30 years ago, and we used poplar for siding clapboards and door trim. It has been kept well painted, and there is no rot.
Did you find out what made your poplar rot? I know it will, but have seen little of it here, in one of the rota capitols of the east.
I've been told that treated (spraying) a solution of BORIC ACID on wood will stop termites.
Anyone else hear of ths / ty it?

Poplar holds paint exceptionally well.
Jimmy wrote:

For painted exterior trim, I actually prefer the new composition boards, instead of wood. They're mostly plastic, don't move, don't rot, and you paint or finish it just like wood.

I don't know about it's paint-holding ability, but sassafras is reported to be rot-resistant. And it's very nice to work, and smells great as you're cutting it! The grain is nice (looks like oak minus flecks), but I guess a clear wood finish is not really the norm in most neighborhoods. Due to the relatively open pores, it might help to use a sanding sealer before painting - just a guess. Good luck, Andy

sealed well. If water/snow come in direct contact, neither will last forever.
If water is unavoidable, look to cypress or redwood.
Dave

Or PLASTIC! <G>
Jimmy Don't know about sassafras, but poplar works very well for that pupose, in my experience Good luck :)