Poplar for face frame cabinets???

Just wondering if I could/should use Poplar for the face frame cabinets I'm going to build. Is it strong enough?

I was planning on using red oak, but, since they will be painted (and I know poplar takes paint well), is Red Oak worth the additional cost?

If I were staining them, Red Oak would be my preference.

I was told maple plywood also take paint well, compared to Red Oak plywood, is this true?

ThankX Ron

Reply to
Ron

Strong enough? Yes (unless you're planning to set an engine-block on the cabinets)

Dent-resistant enough? Depends on your application. Get some scraps and try banging a plate (or something applicable to your expected environment) against it to see if you're happy with the result. It takes a lot to put a dent in oak...poplar dents much more easily.

I'm curious to hear some responses to this. AFAIK, every wood takes paint well...after proper priming, of course (and filling, if necessary).

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Use Poplar. You will not be disappointed. I have used it extensively for painted projects. It finishes beautifully. Machines well, etc.

Reply to
Don Vest

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I just finished some cabinet doors for my daughters house using 3/4" maple plywood. Banded the edges with birch banding (couldn't get maple). Rolled on one coat of Zinser Bullseye primer and 2 coats of Pittsburg Distinction semi gloss white finish coat. I used a 4" closed cell foam roller. The results were great. No grain show thru and no brush marks. Used a card scraper on runs and drips between coats. I have painted other maple lumber this way before and it always gives a nice finish. Mike

Reply to
Mike Myers

Remember that the dents and dings are what make family heirlooms just that, family heirlooms. Especially when they are home made. Who wants a hundred year old table, completely free of all scratches and dings - a table (or whatever) without the marks of time is just a table (or whatever).

Reply to
<manzanar

Unless a particular wood is specified, I use poplar for most of my projects. It's easy to mill, takes paint great and it can usually be stained to look like many other hardwoods (unless going with a light stain). I can supply photos if wanted.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb