Pop Warner participation down 9.5 percent

Knowing what I know now, I would strongly discourage my kid from playing.

Reply to
Michael

---------------------------------- Won't solve the problem of concussions.

The brain floats in the skull.

As a result, a helment protects the skull but not the brain.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Experts" say that, but "experts" said the same about lobotomies being good for man.

You will note that most of the headlines stipulate that "brand" of helmets will not prevent concussions, "or "likely" never will" ... IOW, the 'click through for revenue' reports are arguably mostly conjecture.

Technology will prevail.

Reply to
Swingman

Wrong newsgroup. Sorry. Do with the post what you will.

Reply to
Michael

Maybe a couple of Lag Bolts through the helmet, to secure the brain? john

"Sw> How about better helmet designs, for starters?

---------------------------------- Won't solve the problem of concussions.

The brain floats in the skull.

As a result, a helment protects the skull but not the brain.

Lew

Reply to
jloomis

Jeez, might as well withdraw from sex too. That is a sport/exercise that does not use a helmet at all and with all of the heads being banged against the head board there are sure to be thousands of unreported brain injuries.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:08:01 -0600, Leon

Obviously, all you testosterone junkies feel that contact sports are a necessary and needed part of growing up. While I can agree up to a point, you're dismissing the fact that concussions can and do regularly happen and can be a very debilitating injury.

Your flippant reply is completely ignoring that fact and not on par with your usually informative postings.

Reply to
none

LOL ... this actually happened to a guy who worked for me in the O&G business. Jim in with a cut on his temple one morning and we found out, through his brother, a co-worker who shared an apartment with him, that Jim hit his head on the night stand while banging his girl friend, also a co-worker.

Of course when we found out what happened, we made sure both of them made it to our usual lunch gathering and presented them with a gift wrapped football helmet.

She thought it was hilarious ... didn't even have a red face.

Reply to
Swingman

As expected ... luv you anyway, Bubba! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

You're not getting off that easy buddy. Make all the jokes you want, but anyway you slice it, there's a problem somewhere with any sports where concussions can and should be expected.

Please, I haven't advocated changing, canceling or doing anything to those sports, just pointed out a notable problem.

Reply to
none

Despite what many think, I am not an expert in all matters. ;~)

Actually I could care less about foot ball, socker, boxing, tennis, all those contact sports but I don't believe that my lack of interest should govern others interests.

Reply to
Leon

If "he" was the one that got hurt, which one was on top? LOL

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:28:31 -0600, Leon

Well, you don't have to worry about France invading and cleaning out your workshop. I'll invade it first.

Reply to
none

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'll get MY trophy then, for hiding in a closet!

Do I get a big one for being the biggest coward?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Knowing D, she bucked him off. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Regardless of how "wussified" you think Americans are becoming, the rest of the industrialized world generally reports as being happier in general, and they live longer and in better health than we do.

Reply to
scritch

For the sake of argument I'll accept what you say as the truth, even though I personally don't care how happy the rest of the world is.

We will see how happy they are when we are no longer capable of being the worlds police because our government has wussified our military to the point of being fearful of most others while the radical muslims are free to terrorize these "happy" people at will.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

All the more reason to return to those values that enabled us to bailout "the rest of the industrialized world" when they couldn't do it themselves.

Reply to
Swingman

In my younger days I was certainly temporarily left senseless in the aftermath on more than one occasion...

Reply to
Larry W

One thing that is becoming quite apparent is that many people who post on rec.woodworking must have played tackle football at some point in their lives...

Reply to
Larry W