Pop Warner participation down 9.5 percent

Page 1 of 2
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor
Knowing what I know now, I would strongly discourage my kid from playing.
"Swingman" wrote:

Won't solve the problem of concussions.
The brain floats in the skull.
As a result, a helment protects the skull but not the brain.
Lew
On 11/13/2013 7:26 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Experts" say that, but "experts" said the same about lobotomies being good for man.
You will note that most of the headlines stipulate that "brand" of helmets will not prevent concussions, "or "likely" never will" ... IOW, the 'click through for revenue' reports are arguably mostly conjecture.
Technology will prevail.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/13/2013 7:36 PM, Swingman wrote:

Jeez, might as well withdraw from sex too. That is a sport/exercise that does not use a helmet at all and with all of the heads being banged against the head board there are sure to be thousands of unreported brain injuries.

Obviously, all you testosterone junkies feel that contact sports are a necessary and needed part of growing up. While I can agree up to a point, you're dismissing the fact that concussions can and do regularly happen and can be a very debilitating injury.
Your flippant reply is completely ignoring that fact and not on par with your usually informative postings.

As expected ... luv you anyway, Bubba! ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

You're not getting off that easy buddy. Make all the jokes you want, but anyway you slice it, there's a problem somewhere with any sports where concussions can and should be expected.
Please, I haven't advocated changing, canceling or doing anything to those sports, just pointed out a notable problem.

Despite what many think, I am not an expert in all matters. ;~)
Actually I could care less about foot ball, socker, boxing, tennis, all those contact sports but I don't believe that my lack of interest should govern others interests.
On 11/14/2013 8:08 AM, Leon wrote:

LOL ... this actually happened to a guy who worked for me in the O&G business. Jim in with a cut on his temple one morning and we found out, through his brother, a co-worker who shared an apartment with him, that Jim hit his head on the night stand while banging his girl friend, also a co-worker.
Of course when we found out what happened, we made sure both of them made it to our usual lunch gathering and presented them with a gift wrapped football helmet.
She thought it was hilarious ... didn't even have a red face.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/14/2013 8:38 AM, Swingman wrote:

If "he" was the one that got hurt, which one was on top? LOL
On 11/14/2013 12:25 PM, Leon wrote:

Knowing D, she bucked him off. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/14/2013 12:58 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ;~)

In my younger days I was certainly temporarily left senseless in the aftermath on more than one occasion...
Maybe a couple of Lag Bolts through the helmet, to secure the brain? john
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote:

Won't solve the problem of concussions.
The brain floats in the skull.
As a result, a helment protects the skull but not the brain.
Lew
On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:45:55 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:

Wrong newsgroup. Sorry. Do with the post what you will.

Well, you don't have to worry about France invading and cleaning out your workshop. I'll invade it first.

;~)

I'll get MY trophy then, for hiding in a closet!
Do I get a big one for being the biggest coward?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 14 Nov 2013 18:49:18 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I think you get the Order of DeGaulle medal.

Regardless of how "wussified" you think Americans are becoming, the rest of the industrialized world generally reports as being happier in general, and they live longer and in better health than we do.