Poor customer service from Skil

Page 2 of 2

Yep, even I know that Skil is crap. They still have their worm drive saw that is the best but after that? Total junk.

This might be a good time to let you know that Craftsman, B&D and Ryobi in general should be ruled out as a considered improvement in quality.

That's-a-for-sure. Yet, I have a Skil 918Cn 1/2 VS Drill that just will NOT quit. Has to be 25 years old and still drives screws with no complaints. Original brushes too.
I also have a B&D 1/4" router. All cast body, rack&pinion height adjustment, just won't quit.
Those days are over for those 'brand' companies. It is weird, because those two tools I mentioned above are as good as any 'good' brand today.
Craftsman is clambering to get some cred back amongst the toolies... that Bosch router, a Nikle nailer...

Oddly, and about 25 years ago, Skil made a small 3 volt palm sized driver that looked like a small drill. I had 2 and loved them. I use those before the cordless drills for wood working really hit the woodworking scene.

Yup, I still have that one, and bought it in 1974 when I was 20.

Yeah, they usta be in the "tools to look" at list.

Yeah, they have had the Bosch for 5 or 6 years now IIRC, DeWalt butilt their PlateJoiner and used to build their better drills.
BTY, How are you liking that Craftsman pinner? I almost bought one but it is strictly a cataloge item and I cannot look at one up close. I can get the same model Nikle for $139. I have been doing some research and am also considering the Grex. Apparently on some pinners you have to adjust the magazine to the length of the pins and some pinners have a soft tip to help prevent maring the surface. I am also thinking that the longer pins might be handy for the odd trim jobs where I some times, "next Tuesday", ;~) need to attach a piece of 1/2" quarter round molding that is 8 or 9 inches long to the top of a column cap. Apparently the Grex will shoot 1 3/16" and longer than depending on the model.

I used the pinner during the assembly of a bunch of 5 piece cabinet doors and a few 2 x 3 pane doors with small mullions. One little pin from the back through the tenon of the cope, and it holds amazingly well... till you get the clamps on. That was really handy. I milled my stock just a bit under 13/16 and the 3/4" pins didn't poke through. Now... having said all that, I now would probably buy a pinner with longer nail capacity, as I can really see the use of that tool. The pins have amazing holding power... but they won't 'suck' the pieces together much. I already have somebody in mind to buy my Craftsman/Nikle and I will likely go to a Grex at that point. I see that there are all kinds of 23 ga guns crawling out of the woodwork at much better prices than when I bought mine. ( I also have a $ 2000.00 macintosh with 128'K' of ram and an external $ 700.00(US) 5 MB hard drive.. it is in my museum. But I don't feel as bad as a client of mine with a 42" plasma TV...he paid $ 10,000.00 for the frickin' thing...oh well. I can wait.)
Grex or Ohmer for me ... maybe after The Domino....*nudge*, *nudge*
The Craftsman is serving me well for now.
PS.. the Porter Cable pinner is apparently working well for a few people I know after they all ground 1/64"+ off the wood-contact tips so the pins actually sink in now.
Oh.. and they ALL jam if you put the pins in upside-down..easily done, btw.

Yeah, only good for attaching but not pulling a bow out. ;~) I used Swingman's Omer. Darn him. ;~) Sweeeeeet.

likely go to a Grex at that point.

Yeah I can actually get the entry Grex for $129 shipped IIRC. I was thinking it was $10 more.
But I don't feel as bad as a

Not to mention all the GLARE that the Plazma screens have. We bit the bullet in August and got a 40" LCD for a lot less. ;~)

What's a Domino???? ;~)

Yeah you only do that once. That is what caught my eye with the Grex, they point out the jam clearing feature.
My Senco finish nail gun is quickly cleared of jams with out tools. Too bad it hardly ever jams, last I recall was some time in 1999. ;~)

Ryobi
before
Likewise, I have a 20 year old B&D stinger type chordless screw driver. It's been a faithful servant all these years. The battery is showing its age now and of course - no replacements available. It was handy for a lot of smaller stuff like screwing in outlets, and for some other not so small stuff.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Before pitching it you might consider contacting a battery rebuilder and see if they will rebuild it.

in
Geeze - I should hope so. A 1/2" drill motor for driving screws - it should never die from that workload. Alas, what a shame that the same can't always be said of what's out there today.