Poor customer service from Skil

Page 1 of 2
The first cordless drill I ever bought was a 9.6 volt Skil. Worked like a charm, but it was recalled and replaced with a 12 volt. It has never held a charge well and is now dead. I did a little research and found that Skil has had trouble with their chargers dying.
I e-mailed Skil about the problem and here was their response: "Thank you for writing Skil Power Tools. All available parts and accessories for Skil Power Tools can be ordered directly through our parts office at 1.800.346.4103 (menu option 1). You will need to call them directly to verify pricing and availability of the item. You may place your order by phone and they will ship it directly to you. Please write back if you have any other questions."
I called them and pointed out that dealers have even quit carrying the chargers as replacements because they are so unreliable. All they would do is tell me the price for a new one.
I'll never buy another Skil product.
Dick "disgruntled" Durbin

You sound surprised! Skil is now clearly one of the cheaper power tool brands, marketed towards light-duty homeowner types, not hard-using construction types. (Note - they may once have been considered better quality; don't know the age of your original drill...) If you want durable tools, in almost all cases, you'll probably have to pay more for them. Fortunately, the "real" tool brands are more likely to come with more helpful customer service, but that's far from a given - you'll probably want to find a reputable local tool dealer if you really want solid service. Even though their prices will be higher than Amazon or wherever else online, there ARE still some businesses that believe in customer SERVICE. If you're looking for another cordless drill, may I suggest a Panasonic? They have some nice lightweight 12V models, and everything I've seen (and experienced) suggests they're known for good batteries and chargers. Good luck, Andy
Andy wrote:
> You sound surprised! Skil is now clearly one of the cheaper power tool > brands, marketed towards light-duty homeowner types, not hard-using > construction types.
A few years ago, the only reason S-B (Bosch) bought Skil was to get the 77 Skil Saw.
Everything else was basically trash.
Today, Bosch has their own version of the 77.
Lew

The original drill was a pretty good tool and I bought it because it was all I needed at the time. I also own a Porter Cable drill now that is a substantial tool.
The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns Skil also owns Bosch. I own a couple of Bosch tools and consider them the best tools I own. I would hesitate to buy another Bosch tool if the parent company is willing to make a defective product (my Skil drill) and then not stand behind it.
I want a second drill and will probably buy a Dewalt, PC, Panasonic, or other quality drill.

If it make you feel any better, I have had to call Bosch a few times about my routers and they have been very helpful.
Olebiker wrote:
> The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns > Skil also owns Bosch.
SFWIW, the Bosch service here in SoCal has bent over backwards to help me when ever I needed them.
BTW, it's the other way around, S-B (Bosch) owns Skill.
Lew

The same company that owns Mercedes Benz owns Dodge. That should be of no concern, the Skil, Bosch union took place several years ago with no ill effects.
I own a couple of Bosch tools and consider them

You are confusing how affiliated companies may run. While the company may own both the two seperate businesses mostly operate independently.

While you are happy with the PC drill, PC quality and reliability has not done so well in recent years. You might want to leave PC out of your list of considerations. You might also consider Makita and Milwaukee. While I defend Bosch, I have personally broken every Bosch drill that I have used, one was handed to me by a Bosch rep so that I could drive a couple of screws. I told him about my luck with Bosch drills and boy did he have a funny look on his face after the drill started making a grinding noise.

Have you looked at the reliability ratings for M-B lately? :-O

Actually German cars in general have a bad rep these days. I went back to Japanese after owning 2 German cars.
Leon wrote:
> Actually German cars in general have a bad rep these days. I went back to > Japanese after owning 2 German cars.
SFWIW, after 115,000 miles on my Tonka Toy, took it in for the start of my 3rd set of tires and a front end alignment.
Left front was barely out of spec, right was still in spec.
Shop indicated they seldom see Japanese vehicles for routine maintenance.
Certainly could not say that about the VW's I've had.
Lew

How old is that Audi? My late model VW's had lots of parts with the Audi logo under the hood. I know you hate to hear this but its kinda like a Chevy Monte Carlo compared to a Buick Regal. A seperate class but deep down the same car. Flame suit on. Our 2000 Passat never missed a maintence trip to the dealer and it needed both outer tie rod ends at 32,000 miles, a heater core at 49,000 miles, a starter relay that left my wife stranded at 28,000 miles, a battery at 27,000 miles. Having been in the automotive profession and having been the service sales manager for a large Olds dealership I know that does not fly. As the old saying goes, GM vehicles run longer badly that other cars run at all. LOL I prefer Japanese.

Yup.
But then it was built by the country that built cars from Honda plans and still screwed it up. Remember the Sterling/Honda?
"Robatoy" wrote:
> Anything high-strung is going to have issues, but if you want to talk > lousy reliability, there's always Jaguar.
Jaguar (AKA: Found On Road Dead)
When FoMoCo bought Jag, it had 35 man hours in per my source.
No wonder it was a dog.
Lew

Actually long before Ford bought Jaguar, Jaguar was having big time engine problems. Oddly, a Chevy V8 engine was the better choice as a direct bolt up replacement engine for the Jag's as far back as the 70's IIRC.

Should bolt in. They used GM transmissions.
wrote in message

DOH!
"Leon" wrote in

have
... and at least one Bosch ROS too! ;)
Just kidding ... that turned out to be a switch issue on a tool that had seen some years of hard use.
I was a Makita fan for many years when it came to cordless drills, but I've got to say that my DeWalt 18v XRP, going on it's sixth years of hard use, has taken lessons from the Energizer Bunny.
My Bosch tools are some of the toughest I own, but was surprised to find that my British SIL considered Bosch on the cheap tool side where he comes from.
Go figure...
As for PC, I agree with you 100% ... the company is simply not producing the quality of tool they did even five years ago, IME.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

You know how some people cannot wear electronic wrist watches? ;~) The switch on one of my Bosch router failed the second day I had it. It has been doing fine in the last 9 years. There is something about the German built electrical switches. German cars typically have electrical problems more often than others.

;~)
I had 2 DeWalts before my Makita's other than my 1983 Makita 7 volt right angle drill. The battery finallly quit taking a charge last year. Yes, that battery is now about 24 years old. ;~)

I am not suprised, while Bosch is a pretty darn good brand I think Fein, Festool, and AEG are probably better built.

I only like their sanders, the "old style" sanders.
Did you get my e-mail?
: :> :> The thing that concerns me so much is that the same company that owns :> Skil also owns Bosch.
: The same company that owns Mercedes Benz owns Dodge.
And it's of interest that Mercedes cars are now quite unreliable, across the line. (I'm not saying it's due to the Chrysler acquisition, just that MB, once famous for terrific build quality, is apparently down the slope some).
    -- Andy Barss

From what I have read, if it is German the reliability is not what it used to be.

Good. If you liked the products they sold a couple of years ago, you'll hate the cheaply made downmarket junk they're peddling now. It's a name you really should avoid.
I recently bought one of the last 666 1/2 sheet sanders to be had. Now _that's_ a nice piece of kit.