Polyurethane, mix and match

I have used Sherwin Williams oil based Satin Polyurethane on a large project. I do not like the appearance and want to move up to a semi gloss final coat.

The question is: I have a quart of ACE water based Poly Finish on hand: can I use this product over the Sherwin Williams oil base product?

The reason for the product choices is that the Satin Poly came as a free unopened gallon with the house and I have the ACE product on the shelf. ____________________ If there is no wind, row.

--Latin proverb ____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Bill Waller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What's wrong with using Sherwin Williams semi-gloss? I have found that Sherwin Williams products give a superior finish.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

There is nothing wrong with the Sherwin Williams product, except that it is Satin and I need a glossier finish.

Reply to
Bill Waller

It's doubtful that you'll get an even semigloss sheen with only one coat. It's far easier to tone down the sheen than to bump it up. Many refinishers use the semigloss for the initial coats and then use a satin for the final coat.

This I do not know. I think it's dependent on a lot of factors, and one of which could torpedo your efforts.

Materials are cheap compared to your labor and the chance that you'll be unhappy with the result. Since I don't have any direct experience with water poly over oil poly, I'd buy a new can of oil-based and keep the ACE as inventory.

RicodJour

Reply to
Dave Hall

Yes, you can use a water based poly over an oil based one (obviously you need to scuff the coat that is already on before applying the next coat of poly).

There was even an article in one of the woodworking mags recently suggesting that you use a coat of oil based poly for the first coat, and then water based for the rest.

I'm not sure if it will give you the glossy effect you want, but you can apply water based over oil based.

Reply to
bf