Polyurethane, mix and match

I have used Sherwin Williams oil based Satin Polyurethane on a large project. I do not like the appearance and want to move up to a semi gloss final coat.
The question is: I have a quart of ACE water based Poly Finish on hand: can I use this product over the Sherwin Williams oil base product?
The reason for the product choices is that the Satin Poly came as a free unopened gallon with the house and I have the ACE product on the shelf. ____________________ If there is no wind, row. --Latin proverb ____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

What's wrong with using Sherwin Williams semi-gloss? I have found that Sherwin Williams products give a superior finish.

There is nothing wrong with the Sherwin Williams product, except that it is Satin and I need a glossier finish.
Since satin poly is just gloss poly with additives that get mixed in when you stir, my suggestion would be to let the satin poly sit for a while and let most of the additives settle out then put it on. You will get a glossy top coat that may or may not need rubbed out a little to get a semi-gloss appearance. In any case, you probably won't ever get a true semi-gloss appearance as the underlying coat is and will always be satin. I do not pretend to know if you can put water based poly on top of Thu, 03 Aug 2006 09:46:30 -0400, Bill Waller

Bill Waller wrote:

It's doubtful that you'll get an even semigloss sheen with only one coat. It's far easier to tone down the sheen than to bump it up. Many refinishers use the semigloss for the initial coats and then use a satin for the final coat.

This I do not know. I think it's dependent on a lot of factors, and one of which could torpedo your efforts.

Materials are cheap compared to your labor and the chance that you'll be unhappy with the result. Since I don't have any direct experience with water poly over oil poly, I'd buy a new can of oil-based and keep the ACE as inventory.
Bill Waller wrote:

Yes, you can use a water based poly over an oil based one (obviously you need to scuff the coat that is already on before applying the next coat of poly).
There was even an article in one of the woodworking mags recently suggesting that you use a coat of oil based poly for the first coat, and then water based for the rest.
I'm not sure if it will give you the glossy effect you want, but you can apply water based over oil based.