Polyurethane Hardwood Floor - time before use

Hi,
I am having a house built and the builder puts the last of 3 coats of oil based poly on the hardwood floors on the night before we close.
What is the recommended, optimal, practical time needed before we put area carpets and furniture on it?
The first 2 coats have been down for about 2 weeks prior to the last coat.
Appreciate your input.
Regards, Joe

Most brands tell you 24 hours. I've never had a problem with anything I've used poly on after that time. For carpeting, I'd try to wait 48 hours if I could. Ed
"Joe Blow" wrote in message

Having seen crisscross patterns from rugs/carpets burned into new hardwood floors, I have always waited at least a week, particularly with those items with non skid backing. Give it plenty of time to outgas and cure, there is simply too much money and hassle involved to be impatient, despite what the can might say.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Yes. And the conditions at the house site may differ markedly from those in the lab where the original finish was tested. It is disheartening when you pick up an area rug after a few weeks and see a waffle pattern in the floor's poly.
Charlie Self "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Disraeli as quoted by Mark Twain
talk about a TROLL! you know that the you don't space out coats of poly be WEEKS...
dave
Joe Blow wrote:

should be "BY" weeks; not "be" weeks. I need a grammar checker in Netscape...
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

I guess that's a separate issue from the curing time. However, there is still some grain showing. Do you think there will be a bonding issue?
Joe

Not as long as they give it a light sanding before. Greg

Why not? In a new house there are all sorts of people going in and out. Two coats of poly protected the floor from the tradesmen. After final cleanup, the final coat is put of for the new homeowner. Sounds like a smart way of doing it. Ed
sounds more "iffy" than smart IMO.
dave
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

So what is the problem as long as the floor is prepped properly between coats?! Greg
fine. do it your way, greg.
dave
Greg O wrote:

BAD, you made a statement, I just want you to back it up! Again, why do you believe it is a problem to wait a week between coats? Simple question, do you have an answer? or are you just trolling! I don't see a problem as long as the proper prep is done between coats. Responses like this one are why so many plonk you here! Greg
jeez, Greg, I was merely trying to avoid a useless argument.
I was serious when I said do it your way. I wouldn't wait that long between coats; that doesn't come CLOSE to following the proper methods. Don't you get it?? I don't really CARE how YOU do it, but I wouldn't pass along bad info to others such as you do. and do you REALLY think I care if you plonk me? Don't flatter yourself.
dave
Greg O wrote:

I donno Dave, I sold poly floor finish years back. The Manufactureres that we sold for did not have a problem with a week or more between coats, as long as certain procedures were followed. I just wanted your take on it, possibly to educate and inform others. I guess I was asking to much! I guess it is that time of the month again! Greg
BAD, Once again your ass and inexperience is showing. Do you actually do any type of woodworking, let alone work, or do you just troll in this forum all day long. Grow up and do most of us who use this forum to learn and echange ideas, LEAVE.
Roger
PS welcome to my kill file.

Thanks guys, I'll probably be able to wait the better part of a week. We close next Thursday, so the final coat will be Wednesday eve. The big truck won't be there until Tuesday eve. I should be able to keep things off of it until that Thursday.
Appreciate the input.
Joe