Polymer Resin?

Never used resin before. Would like to completely cover small wood pieces with a sticker on one side. Say a piece 2"x3". Can I dip it? won't the resin run off when i hang it to dry? does the wood have to be primed? any help appreciated. Thanks hugh/ohio

Reply to
Hugh Comstock

I assume you're speaking of a 2 part polyester or vinylester (epoxy) resin like what we used in the fiberglass business. The resin is fairly thick so it would self meter itself (drip) to a pretty thick coating. Also, you'd stand a pretty good chance of the coating being a lot thinner at the top than at the bottom where it would sag to, and most likely have nipples on the bottom where it dripped off. If you're looking for a clear coating on the wood and it's to be in the sun, remember that Polyester resin doesn't stand up to UV, which is why boats are covered with gel-coat or paint. For higher end epoxys, you can get a special hardener designed to withstand the sun better which cures less brown and more toward clear (light amber) so you can have the natural wood look. I would suggest you hang the pieces from string and "paint" them with the resin. Also, wood is porous enough to get good mechanical adhesion without priming. Just make sure they're clean and dust free before you start.

~Rob

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Hugh Comstock) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3316.bay.webtv.net:

Reply to
Rob Sluys

What is gelcoat? I thought it was just a thick coat of the resin, but you imply otherwise.

Reply to
John Smith

Gelcoat has a similar base to resin, but is colored so that you can have the pretty finish coat. The other benefit is that it keeps direct sunlight off the cured resin to keep it from breaking down. Normally it's sold white and you can tint it to match the color you want.

"John Smith" wrote inl news:qik_c.4965$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Reply to
Rob Sluys