Poly re-finish

I built some drop-leaf, cherry end tables about 15 yrs ago and finished them in a satin poly. Moving, kids and grandkids later they are beginning to look a bit nicked. I expect that I'll have to remove the tops to strip them but will they again accept the Pratt-Lambert stain to the same degree as the originally stained legs? Any cautionary notes?? TIA

Reply to
C & M

"C & M" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

The sanded cherry will be 15 years behind the legs in darkening, after you sand the poly off enough to get the stain to take.

At least for a while, the parts ARE going to differ in color. No matter how well you match colors today, they will change.

It's part of cherry's charm.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I think that is is very difficult/impossible to match stains like this. Instead, why not just clean the surface with some 0000 steel wool/mineral spirits, then run some stain over the major dings.

Finish with a couple of coats of wipe-on poly.

I did this to our 20 yr old kitchen cabinets (oak tho) last year, and they look better than new.

FWIW

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Since you have apparently made the decision to strip the current finish, why don't you take a shot at doing a burn-in repair? Shellac sticks require skill and technique. If you hit it, you won't have to strip the table. If you mess it up, you were going to strip the table anyway.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron