Poly over tung oil won't dry - Help!

Hoy hoy,

I'm making a jig out of pine. I wiped some tung oil in to see how it'll look. Two days later I glued, screwed and polyed it. Today the parts that have oil are still poly-wet. What can I use to

1) get the poly off & 2) get the oil out so I can poly the $#!+ out of it for durability?

mini-gloat - I got a good, not too used PC 7 1/4" right-side blade (I like right-side better) circ saw delivered to my house today for $25. What's a good, not too pricy all-around blade for it?

Thanks,

Mowgli

Reply to
Mowgli

it might be faster to make a new jig and burn that one!

dave

Mowgli wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Depending on the ratio, it can take a while to dry. I mixed some poly/tung/mineral sprits to try a wiping finish. Took about 3 days to set up. Try wiping it with mineral spirits? Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why are you applying a finish to a jig?

Reply to
Rumpty

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:17:09 GMT, Rumpty's fingers viciously stabbed at an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

Thanks for the helpful information. That'll get that dang tung oil out.

Reply to
Mowgli

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:44:12 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski's fingers viciously stabbed at an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

Thanks Ed, I'll try that.

Mowgli

Reply to
Mowgli

Uuhhhmmmm....minimize moisture transfer...to minimize wood movement... to minimize inaccuracies in the jig introduced by wood movement...to make the jig useful after the season changes.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

"Mowgli" wrote >

What kind of cutting will you be doing?

Reply to
Morgans

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:06:09 -0400, Morgans's fingers viciously stabbed at an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

A little bit of everything, rip, c-c, plywood... I have a ts, bs, scm, chainsaw, etc..but some stuff's just too big for my small shop, it helps me to cut stuff to near the right size. Good, not too expensive all-purpose blade? Freud? 40t? ??

Mowgli

Reply to
Mowgli

For remodeling work, or when nails may get cut, B & D Piranha blades will cut though a dozen 16d nails before it is junk. Best by far.

For general work, Irwin Marathon blades are pretty good, and are readily available, and the price is right. Plywood blades, I don't have an opinion, just one with lots and lots of teeth.

Reply to
Morgans

If you have to resort to scrape and wipe, it's time to consider that it may be the wood itself.

Poorly resin-set pine can ooze almost forever, and no finish save shellac has a chance, because the ooze is what they distill to make turpentine. I use shellac to seal my jigs, but I make them of ply or composition material, because that gives me an automatic leg up on stability.

Reply to
George

Make your jigs outta um let's say birch ply, you have no movement.

Reply to
Rumpty

Unfortunately, my experience says otherwise.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

You might consider buying a better quality ply.

Reply to
Rumpty

EVERY wood moves. The question is "how much?" Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Every wood moves regardless of finish, no? Build your jigs outta quality birch ply and any movement you won't notice. If the movement you see outta a ply jig gives you concern, your product design needs to be refined.

Reply to
Rumpty

Correct. If it is finished it is less likely to move from moisture though, but not impossible either.

I put a finish on all of my jigs and templates just to keep them cleaner looking. If nothing else, my heirs will be able to get the full $26,000 that shops go for on eBay. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:36:23 GMT, Chris Merrill pixelated:

How much does your baltic birch ply move, Chris?

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Enough for a 24x18 crosscut sled to wobble on the surface of my TS -- I'd guess 1/16"...maybe 1/8". It was flat when I built it.

(sorry for the late reply...been away)

Reply to
Chris Merrill

As a follow-up...apparently I'm not the only one to have plywood jigs move over time:

(see the section titled "Why MDF?")

Chris Merrill