Poly over stain

If I put a oil based satin on raw wood and after it has dried put a oil based coat poly over it will it mess up the stain finish.
I think I read somewhere that the poly might soften the stain because both are are oil based.
Jim
On 6/26/2014 7:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@wind.net wrote:

Huh? Millions of people do that.
They do it on both raw and cooked wood.
On 6/26/2014 6:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@wind.net wrote:

If you don't properly wipe off the excess stain after application and before it dries you could run into a problem.
But for the most part you should not have a problem at all providing you read and follow the instructions on the product can.
I have been using oil base varnish over oil based stains for 30 plus years.
As always test on scraps so that you will not be testing on your project.
On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:39:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wind.net wrote:

So my wife was correct. Thanks guys.
Jim

Only thing is to let the stain outgas for the required 24 hrs stated on the label. If you do not, it can cause the poly to never set up hard.
--
Jim in NC