Poly Glue Setup Time

I am working with poly glue for the first time. I have a great many parts to assemble and do not have many clamps. What is the minimum amount of time I can remove the clamps from 2 pieces so I can reuse the clamps and assemble 2 more pieces. After the clamps are removed the assembled pieces would not be under any stress for about a week. Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
mike

Hi Mike,

I have used poly off 'n on for about 5 years - mostly on exterior type projects, but sometimes where I thought it would hold a little better than 'old yeller'.

I think the poly sets up a little faster. When you see it starting to foam, that's a good indication that you have very little (if any) free time left.

Unless it's a water resistant application, I try to stick to yellow. Trying to get poly stains off your hands is a real 'bear' (gorilla?) also.

Sometimes a brad is as good as a clamp 'till the glue sets'. After 30 minutes or so with yellow/poly, you should be able to move on - if you can shoot it with an 18 ga. after initial clamping.

What are you buildin'?

Lou

Reply to
loutent

depends on the moisture level and the temp. if your about 60 I would say about 3 hours. feel the foam and when it is not sticky it should be fine.

Reply to
Steve Knight

That is good news. I was leaving the clamps on overnight so I was not producing much. I am building boxes that wil be used by a camp. The boxes will be outside for about 5 weeks each summer. Thought it best to use the poly.

It is not a paying job as I am retired. I have volunteered to do this for the camp which is also a volunteer organization. Thanks all for your help.

Reply to
mike