poly 1st coat

I am using oil based poly. Should I dilute the first coat 1/1 with spirits to get good penetration? Next coats full strength? ( sanded between the coats naturally) Thanks Lee

Reply to
Lee

Thinning is good, but it does not have to be that much. I use about 10-15%. Three more coats full strength, then wet sand with 600 grit, pumice, rottenstone, paste wax. Now you have a very nice finish.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Forgot to mention, wait two weeks for it to cure before the final sanding and rubbing out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes. But not for the reason you state. Dilute the first coat 1:1 and it will flow onto the bare wood easier and more evenly (less likely to form ridges). It will also cure much faster. Once cured (dependent on temperature and humidity), rub lightly with 0000 steel wool and wipe clean. Apply your next coat 2:1 (poly:thinner) or full strength.

Reply to
Stoutman

Three more coats full strength, then >wet sand with 600 grit, pumice, rottenstone, paste >wax. Now you have a very nice finish.

Looks, good no doubt.

But a question here for you EP, just wondering, why do you paste wax on top of your finish?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Several years ago this board turned me onto using 1/3 varnish 1/3 oil (Tung or BLO) and 1/3 turpentine (mineral spirits is fine I just don't find the turpentine to have as an objectionable smell). I have used this mixture ever since. I usually mix up a small batch of this and keep on adding varnish to it after I have used half the batch or so thickening it up. This finish levels itself off very nicely and goes on nicely with a rag or a painting pad depending on the surface area to be covered. Many many light coats a couple hours apart works best for me. Let it dry for quite a few days then sand and apply a final coat that has been thinned to equal proportions and you will have a very smooth finish.

I find oil based finishes make lighter wood yellow but makes darker wood very warm and really pops the grain.

Reply to
Oughtsix

Makes it shine and enriches the depth of the finish. Makes a huge difference.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I guess I always think of maintenance and repair, since that is part of what I do. I have always liked the smooth, soft feel that a good paste wax gives when properly applied, though.

Just checking...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Actually, I find that most finishes that can be thinned by a solvent can benefit from this treatment, for the first coat.

Dekker

Stoutman wrote:

Reply to
Dekker