polish wooden knife scales /handles

HI all, I'm trying to fnd the most effective wway of finishing off the wooden knife scales. I've tried rouge and then buffing but this doesn't seem to be very effective. I've tried a very very fine grit wet and dry and this so far seems to be the best method, but i still feel there must be a better way.

What kind of wood?
Any finish or oil on the scales?
Most wood buffs very well, but I've never tried rouge on the wheel..
Normal process is tripoli, then white diamond, then carnauba wax..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

its zebra wood, no oil no finish. What's tripoli? thanks David

Medium compound, intermediate between emery and red jeweler's rouge. Originally derived from the soil near Tripoli, thus the name.

Was it discovered by Lt. O'bannon?

Zebra is hard to buff "naked" because of the open grain... I usually put a coat of Danish Oil or sanding sealer on it before buffing..
I use the Beall buffing system:
http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php
Available direct from them or at Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc.....