Poctet Cutting Machines

When I was younger I worked in a cabinet shop and we had a machine t
cut pocket holes for face frames.
Basically, it consisted of a platform mounted to a steel tool stand. On top of the platform was a clamping device - you'd lay the stock tha needed the pocket holes flat in the clamp, with the side to be route facing upwards. on top of the clamping device was a motor with fluted bit and a handle - pull the trigger on the handle, pivot the bi into the wood, and you have a pocket hole. Then, after routing th pocket, you'd drill the pilot hole for the screw - there was a hole i the back of the jig that lined the pilot hole up perfectly with th pocket.
I think that it was a Porter Cable machine, but I can't remember - it' been years since I worked in that shop.
This machine was really easy to use and I would love to get one for m own home shop or maybe build one. Does anyone have one of these, hav seen one, or know where I can get one, or have built somethin similar?
It didn't look like a Porter Cable Model 552 pocket hole cutter - i looked very simple and primative. The motor/handle assembly on i looked almost like a jig saw, but with a rotary cutting motion instea of reciprocating like a jig saw. I've searched around online for on with no luck.
Many thanks
-- makesawdust
I have used a Castle machine and another private brand that was actually purchased by Jet. I can't afford to buy an actual machine to have at home so I bought the Craig Jig )or however it is spelled). Having a machine is awesome. The work flow is not slowed, you just walk over and pope the holes. I don't think a machine is worth the money for home use. The Castle uses two motors, one cuts the pocket and the other edge drills. The machine I used last uses a step drill and the edge of the work is always burred. max

Try these:
Kreg Foreman Pocket Hole Milling machine (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Porter Cable Pocket Hole Cutting Machine (Amazon.com product link shortened)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 70 woodworking product reviews online! WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps - Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment - Ryobi Right Angle Drill - Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer - Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw - Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction ------------------------------------------------------------
Woodcrafter notes:

I've got the 552 and it's excellent, but at 700 bucks, it is also pricey.
But he might want to take a look at the Pocket Pro from CMT, too. www.cmtusa.com
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Here's the link directly to it. Do you have experience with this one Charlie? If so, how would you compare it to the Kreg as far as capability?
http://www.cmtusa.com/store/index1.ihtml?x_page=store.ihtml&id=CID681152498&step=2&parentid=CID4501485646&pagetitle=&menuinclude=leftnav_products.ihtml & titleimage=titles_accessories.jpg
Upscale asks:

98&step=2&parentid=CID4501485646&pagetitle=&menuinclude=leftnav_products.ihtml&
Wish I had. It looks a touch easier to change bits on than is the PC 552.