Pocket Screws

If you were buying a pocket hole jig, which one would you buy, and why?

Thanks

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

The Kreg K2000 kit. They've been around a while (and likely in the future) and know what they are doing in terms of pocket holes. I like there screws as well.

The K2000 kit is a good value. If you can pick up one at one of the woodworking shows, you can usually get some nice extras thrown in.

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Also, looks like Woodcraft has the kit on sale for $99. Sounds like a great deal to me. I cant get the link to work, so dont hold me to that price.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

"Dr. Deb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Are you going to do things the way I do things? That's not always the best of ideas, you know. There are a lot of $400 things that looked like a great idea hiding in dusty places in my shop.

The $35 Simp'l jig has certainly earned its keep, however, over the last three years. When I do the kitchen cabinets, some day real soon now, he promises his wife yet again, I'll likely borrow the neighbor's Kreg Pro kit, since he's only offered about 10 times. Even better, he'll likely come with it for the face frame build.

Buy the crews in bulk from McFeeley's, and make sure you have a good selection. Running out of screws in mid-project is a pain. So is buying them in little plastic bags at retail pricing.

Whatcha wanna build?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

My vote is for the Kreg K2000 kit. Well made, easy to use, adaptable and most importantly, it gets used often, doesn't sit in the cupboard catching dust! My Kreg K2000 Review >

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
our tool survey, Win $200!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System

- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer

- EZ Smart Guide System

Woodcrafter

The woodcraft website shows it "on sale" for $125.99.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

FWIW ... I own a Kreg, use it all the time for face frames, and have never regretted the purchase. I also buy their screws in 5 pound boxes and go through them like ham n' eggs.

Reply to
Swingman

I, too, suggest the K2000. Yes you can get by with just a mini-jig, and I do use the mini for certain tasks, but the convenience and speed of the full K2000 is worth it.

I also get the big boxes of Kreg screws. Also, a good screw to use with it is the #10 PocketMax screws from McFeelys, which is excellent for joining two-by material. I used a lot of those building my shed (roof rafters go up EASY with pocket screws!).

IMHO the regular McFeely pocket screws aren't as good as the Kreg, mostly because the larger head means they stick out of the pocket hole more often (or at least the hole plugs fit worse), and they don't have the integral washer so there's less bearing surface.

A photo of the K200 used as a self-clamping large "mini":

to move the jig around than the wood sometimes.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I too have the Kreg and love it. What I did not realize until I owed one is that it is a "system". The geometry of the Jig, the bit with the stop collar

*and* the specific geometry of the screws make it work.

It sum of the parts is much more developed than simply counterboring a hole at 20 degrees or so.

It's not a replacement for traditional joinery in fine woodworking, but it has it's place and it's great at what it does.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I have one of those pocket hole jig things called the Facemaker. It works oh yeah, it works great. It should for the cost. I make myself use it once a year. However, I don't do alot of pocket hole joinery. Mostly on face frames. If I did do alot of pocket hole joinery, I would definately highly recommend the Facemaker. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Not much need to reccomend it. It appears not to be made anymore.

"Slowhand" frames. If I did do alot of pocket hole joinery, I would definately highly

Reply to
CW

Interesting, these guys:

it listed for $89.99 now via Woodcraft. Maybe it's missing a few parts. It was $99.99 last night.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Nah, thats the K2000 bare. OP was speaking of the KP2000PP (Pro-pack) which is still $125.99 on their site. Take a look beyond amos.shop,com's site and go to Woodcraft. You'll see the different catalog numbers.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:06:07 -0700, "Slowhand" > selection. Running out of screws in mid-project is a pain. So is buying

Subject change: kinda!

The missus ants a chest of drawers built. Three by three draws, long and deep for clothing. It's got to be pine.

Would pocket hole joinery work on the cabinet frame? Would it hold up to the weight of the drawers - when full?, and the slamming of 'em when they're closed? Sure would save some effort! Hate chopping those mortices.

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Reply to
jhewitt