Pocket-hole question.

Hi there, I just got a Kreg pocket hole jig and am using it to attach a table skirt to the table legs. The legs are 3 1/2" square oak. Is there any danger of splitting the legs when I drive the screws in? I don't know if I can accurately drill a pilot hole through the pocket and into the leg. The screws are fine thread and supposedly self tapping so is this good enough? Maybe some wax on the screws? Any tips or ideas? Thanks.
--
BeerBoy

the Kreg screws do NOT need to have pilot holes. fine thread for hardwoods and coarse for ply and softwoods. GO FOR IT! You won't need to bother with waxing them, but it isn't gonna mess you up if you do. That Kreg system is SWEET!
dave
BeerBoy wrote:

No pilot holes... use a "little glue" and drive the screws.
I would strongly recommend using a "hand driver" until you get the idea of how much drill torque to use. By "over drilling", you can actually "spin out" the screws. Long square drives work the very best. I like to use a 6" at a minimum.
If you don't like to "hand drive" just remember to take it easy on the driving process and set the clutch to a very light setting.
Practice,practive,practice....(on scraps)
BeerBoy wrote:

I just finished using some pocket holes in an ash bedside stand. I found that the screws did split our the legs when I fastened the rail to them. I used an appropriately sized drill and drilled pilot holes. Had no problems after that.
says...

Al, his are oak...
dave
Al Palmer wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

The ash worked a lot like oak in my experience.

I'm new at this and have only done projects with maple, oak and poplar, so far. I haven't had any problems with splitting of oak face frames when pocket holing, and those suckers are a LOT smaller than 3 1/2 legs, so I assumed oak MAYBE is less prone to splitting than other hardwoods. From what you are saying, I'm wrong on that score.
dave
dave
Al Palmer wrote:

Sounds like your wood is too DRY or you a re driving them in too much. Try some wax on the threads of the screws. I use spit or soap on the screws . Some in this group are so ANAL, that they say not to use soap or spit. I've been doing soap and spit longer than most fools here have been alive. They say it makes things rust or introduces added moisture into the wood. What a joke ! Try Mc' Feelys for screw lube if your that hard up. Pocket Screw's are for production type work, not REAL wood workin. IMHO..................I see the flame's a coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skirt to

of
The
enough?
Strike two. Plonk. You don't deserve three.

danger
can
interesting. FOW's message you just quoted doesn't appear on my NG server. dave
CW wrote:
They even plonked him from the server? :)

I must have pissed him off ,Dave.LOL!