PM 64A Question (long)

New here to rec.woodworking, love all the info. Thanks to all the regulars that field all the question. Speaking of which...

I have a Powermatic 64A Contractor type table saw that I love. It has served me well but always had a bit of a vibration problem. After reading a few posts on TS tune ups I decided to buy a link belt. Folks said that was the biggest leap in reducing vibration. After reading a few more posts and site, turns out that PowerTwist (or any other for that matter) doesn't make a link belt for a 64A. Something about the slope of the V and its a 3/8 belt (which in and of itself is not the problem, the way I understand it, the slope is the problem). I read around an found one guy that replaced his stock 64a belt with a

3/8 PT belt and had success. Then another post on PT reviews on amazon showed the only guy that didnt like the belt was one trying to put it on a 64A. I then called the company and they said they dont make a PT belt for a 64A, and didnt say one way or the other as to whether I should try their 3/8 L series belt. the way I saw it it was 50/50 one good and one bad report. I went ahead and got it and here is what I am seeing.

  1. When everything is set up just right, the belt works pretty well, and with much less vibration.

  2. If I make any adjustment (like to blade height), it seems the belt stretches and starts to rub on one of the bolts that holds the belt cover on making a terrible racket. I cant quite get the belt short enough to work at max and min blade height and not rub on the belt gaurd mounting bolt without removing what looks to be an excessive number of links. (However, I just read somewhere that I should be removing something like 1 link for every 24 links in a belts that is the same size as the stock belt.)

  1. Ive tried removing links, but not sure how many is too many. I imagine that if too many links are removed, belt tension will decrease and/or start to slip since it is the weight of the motor that is providing belt tension. At more weight is placed on the hinge point, less is on the belt.

I guess my questions are:

  1. Anyone have any info/experience with the 64A/PT link belt combination
  2. Any I doing some obvious bone-head thing wrong.

thanks in advance to any and all that respond

Reply to
jam2

I've had the link belt on mine for 2 years. It took over a year for it to finally quit stretching. I'd just remove a couple of links at a time, no big deal. I did have to add a flat washer to each of the cover mounting bolts to shift it out a bit but no other problems.

Mine passes the nickle test from startup thru shutdown every time. If you're still having vibration problems it sounds like something else might be a little out of wack. Make sure the pulleys are co-planer.

HTH, Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Turns out it was #2 - Bone-head mistake. I had the belt running the wrong direction. The arrows are very small and hard to read. After looking at a few of them I figured out that the belt was going the wrong direction.

Swap belt...run upstairs, get nickle...stand nickle on edge on main table... on...off...on...off...nickle still standing...move nickle to far edge of cast iron extension wing...on...off...on...off...still standing! Also, much quieter.

When all else fails, read the directions. I am now a believer! Link-belts all around, I'm buy'n.

Cheers, JAM

Reply to
jam2