Plywood Woes

So just how thin are they going to go with the veneer? I swear the manufacturers have discovered ScarySharp and are striving for the "Thinnest Veneer Ever" award.

As such, how are you guys dealing with this? I'm taking great pains to get the hardwood edging on shelves dead nuts flush with the surface, using tape on the cut line, using a zero clearance insert and basically handling my plywood as though it's a finely finished antique. Are scoring blades the way to go? Can you source plywood by the thickness of the veneer? Does anyone actually knife a line prior to cutting? Help!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Sounds like you have two problems. One is alignment, the other is quality of the cut edge.

I can gut a perfect plywood edge using my Freud 80 tooth cross cut blade. No scoring, no knife line. Cut good side up.

Now is the alignment of the edge. I plane mine to be 3/4" thick. that is just a tad thicker than the actual size of the plywood. I use biscuits for alignment. If you want to leave the edging a little proud to sand in flush, cut the slot in the edging as usual. Now when you cut the slot in the plywood, put a playing card under the fence. Or a couple of thicknesses of paper. It will make the slot just that much higher and if you cut the edging perfect, it will sit proud.. Now just sand it even. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski