Plywood to Particle Board

When face-to-face gluing plywood to particle board does it help any to use screws under any circumstances?
I'm not referring to an advantage during the drying process since I have clamps. I'm talking about as a way to add strength to the bond *after* the glue has set and dried.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
I would suppose any attachment, that makes 2 separate pieces more of a single unit, would be a benefit. Also, though I wouldn't expect too much difference in the expansion and contraction of each of the 2 different plies, the maximum bonding of them into one unit would help eliminate the effects of any differing movements.
Sonny
On 10/21/12 5:33 PM, Searcher7 wrote:

One or the other. Once the glue dries, the screws are irrelevant. The glue will be stronger than the screws.
--

-MIKE-

- and particularly the SHOCK syrength. Likely not required, but it WILL add strength.
On 10/21/12 6:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, and biscuits, too. They would add shear and shock (wtf?) strength. Likely not required but they WILL add strength. And also steel dowels would add strength, especially for all that SHOCK.
--

-MIKE-

not specify the glue - or the application. Biscuits are not going to do much on a face to face joint - unless, possibly, it is a relatively small joint on relatively large pieces. The glue is (in almost all cases) stronger than the wood itself. Some glues are very strong under steady force, but fragile under shock. Some strong in tension, and weak in shear And like I said, the screws would increase the strength of the joint - but what good is it if the joint is stronger than the wood.
So -MIKE-, you don't have to get sarcastic, if that was your intent.
On 10/21/12 10:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That was my only intent. :-p
--

-MIKE-

On Oct 21, 11:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This is a repair arcade game cabinet project.I needed to cut off the bottoms of the particle board sides and glued in replacement piece made of plywood. I wanted to strengthen the edge-to-edge joint. so I'm gluing in more plywood over the seam inside the cabinet and I was told I should use screws.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Pole%20Position%20II%20Project/PolePositionII.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Pole%20Position%20II%20Project/PPLB.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Pole%20Position%20II%20Project/PPCut.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Pole%20Position%20II%20Project/PPNewBottomSide.jpg
I'm about to countersink and screw from the outside through the particle board and plywwood and into the plywood brace that is glued over the inside seam.
Thanks. Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 08:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7

no screw heads disturbing the outer finish to pop filler off of. Make the inside box a tight fit into the outer box, and overlap a minimum of 2 or 3 inches into the upper chip-board case. Even 6 inches would not be excessive. 3/8" ply would be plenty for that application. Not sure I'd even bother with screws in the ply-wood to plywood joint, but on the old particle board I WOULD use screws - I'd put them in from the inside, about 1/2 the thickness of the particle board, about evety 6 to 8 inches. There is not a lot of strength to the particle board so the "pins" created by the screws will help hold it together so your joint does not open up when you move it around the rec room.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 08:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7

Go for it.
I'd probably glue and screw, bondo, sand, prime, and paint.
-- They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority. -- Gerald Massey, Egyptologist