plywood's getting thinner....

Page 1 of 2
Bought a sheet of 1/4" oak plywood at HD today. I got it home and was setting up to cut some rabbets for the plywood as a backer on a cabinet. I eyeballed the plywood and thought "that looks mighty thin to be 1/4". Now, I know they've shaved 1/32" off all the plywood we buy these days at the borg - a 1/4" really comes out as 7/32". This one measured 3/16" and no more. I used an Incra ruler on it - 3/16". It wasn't even a "strong" 3/16" as Norm would say. It was advertised as "1/4" oak plywood" on the sign at HD.
Bob
Pretty soon we'll be buying thin air, but by gosh, it will NOT go up in price! This is spreading to most consumer products, selling less product at the same price (or more) to "compete" with other companies.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You think so? My impression is that, for the most part, retailers are lowering prices, and then finding ways to hide that they are really selling less product. If you go into Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal Mart, etc, you'll see price drop stickers all over the place, more so than in the past it seems. A few years ago, I remember seeing a lot more stickers advertising new, improved models, etc. I think the extended slow economy has made the retailers re-evaluate their strategy. That's all just my non-scientific impression, though.
Jon
<<selling less product at the same price (or more) to "compete" with other companies>> A race to the bottom. Being led by WalMart
Funny, I noticed the same thing on a 1/4" board I bought last week at HD. I thought they were trying to hold prices, but that couldn't be because their prices were up and their plywood was under thick. Dan

Sun, Jan 2, 2005, 8:07pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (bob) says: Bought a sheet of 1/4" oak plywood at HD <snip>
You're not dealing with rocket scientists there, you know. I've frequently found wood/plywood listed wrong, or stacked in the wrong stack. Pays to doublecheck.
JOAT People without "things" are just intelligent animals.
bob wrote:

listed as.
Maybe it was a 5.2mm thickness, that's closer to 3/16" than 1/4". What does your receipt indicate?

Receipt says....... " 1/4 oak".

Once again, the word is "nominal." This means 1/4 in name, not necessarily in dimension. Might not be the same dimension from supplier to supplier, so if you're mixing - be careful.
Without hoping to provoke the calculus boys again, you have only to look at the cereal boxes to see that we see broadly, not in depth. At the coffee can to know that it's diameter is still what a three-pound can used to be, but the height is less. Let's not get into Hershey bars....
Caveat Emptor

But the amount of coffee or amount of chocoate on those products are accurately measured, whereas wood is as big of a misrepresentation as there is in retail products.
Could you imagine buying a pound of coffee, and getting 12 ounces?? Or buying a gallon of milk and getting 3 quarters?
Well, I guess my comment on how poorly people focus on actual content would have to apply to reading Usenet, too.
Nominal - in name only. OK?
CAUTION - plywood from different sources may not be the same thickness though nominally the same. Can ruin your whole day if you dadoed for one and fit the other.
As to the rest, ask how many people realize that the former 16 oz can is now 15 1/2, the Juicy Juice is four fluid ounces less than the Welch's next to it, or the pound of coffee actually 12 oz. It'll teach you the value of packaging.

George wrote:

I read your message, but you're equating two different things, and you're doing it again with your coffee example.
The coffee can does NOT say "a pound of coffee", yet the contents only contain 12 oz. However, when a board says it's 1/4", it is a blatant mispresentation of the size.

But that formerly 16 oz can had better say that it's really 15 1/2 oz or the can of coffee containing 12 oz better say that and not 16 --- the various federal trade overseers get pretty bent out of shape if this is not the case. To label something as 15/32 and then really provide it as 7/16 instead should result in similar issues.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

It does, but only if you read it.
As does the nominally-sized plywood - if you read it.
Hint - it's the small print.
For the obtuse Larry - people don't study such things. That's why you can shorten the can in increments and folks think they're getting a good price. Look at the annual number of threads complaining about 4/4 wood being 3/4" or a 2x6 being 1 1/2 by 5 1/2 if you doubt this. And those are the things every woodworker could and should find out about in the first book they read.
I don't think they can get the cereal box faces any larger without getting so thin a flake would get stuck crosswise....

Well, obviously. You can't force people to become informed, but with wood, it's MISinformation.

Doesn't say any such thing. The ply at HD says 3/4", but it's really .70" or less.

You do, as I would surmise most people on this board.

They can think what they want, but it's not misleading at all since the actual contents are listed on the package.

*rant mode on*
It gets worse. I bought a sheet of 1/2" a few weeks ago - claerly stamped as12.5 mm on the side byt the manufacturer. When I measured it, it was only 12 mm. Phoning and complaining was a complete waste of time. (this was to HD Curity store in Toronto). And how do they get away with making it out of 4 layers?! Even their 3/4" stuff is only 5-layer - bendable as 'real' 1/2". I'd rather pay more for quality so I don't buy ply there anymore :-(. Wish they weren't so dishonest about their specs. Bet they wouldn't apprecaite me paying only $120 for a $125.40 bill and saying it's close enough.
Does anyone at HD read this group?
Nigel
And this is all HD's fault, right?
Nigel Burnett wrote:

Find yourself a real lumber yard and refuse to give any more money to HD, Lowes or thier ilk... that's what I did.
-Keith
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:26:47 -0500, Nigel Burnett

Keith wrote:

Admirable in some regards as I also dislike what the box stores have done to availability of better materials, but for ply materials in general it was instigated by the manufacturers, not the retailers...