Plywood question

When talking about 7-ply hardwood plywood with veneer on each side, do the veneers count as plies, meaning there would be seven layers altogether? Or does it mean there are nine layers altogether--seven layers of fill plus two veneers?
It would probably be obvious if I had the product in front of me. But I am researching prices for different plywood products on the web and I'm trying to figure out what exactly is being offerred.
Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
The GP specification says the ply count includes the faces
http://www.gp.com/build/PageViewer.aspx?repository=bp&elementid876
"Veneer Core The most common core type, with all inner plies made from softwood or hardwood veneer. Employs a standard cross-ply technique with three, five, seven or nine plies (including the face and back) used to produce the final panel. Structural strength and stability make veneer core panels particularly suited to cabinet and casework."

the mill common in 3/4" thicknesses 5 inner and 2 outer.
1/2" Baltic Birch typically is 9 ply.
What is the difference in Lowe's Classic and their Cabinet grade? Thanks.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

1) spelling 2) price 3) "something else"
No, I have no idea what the technical differences are. :)