Plywood Prices

The price of plywood has doubled in the last two weeks. Apparently, Uncle Sam has bought up everything Georgia Pacific can make. I guess the USA is going to rebuild Iraq out of plywood. Has the price gone up in your area also?

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Ed Pawlowski responds:

Love it! The gov uses our bucks to buy plywood for Iraq, then the lumber companies raise the price because there's a shortage in the States. So we get it in the shorts twice on the same deal. Now THAT'S politics!
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico
Here is a link to the article in the Hartford Courant. http://www.ctnow.com/business/hc-plywood0904.artsep04.story
-- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
someone snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com says...

You normally use bad examples to make a point. . .Both of your examples above are light years ahead of anything the current regime is doing with tax dollars.
Kim

Forests w/ roads and timber-cutting?", I always remember that "National Forests" are managed by an agency w/in the Department of Agriculture, not Interior. Beyond forests, we have "wild and scenic areas" and "wilderness areas" where cutting is prohibited. Maybe the name should be changed from National Forests to "National Tree Farms" and people would understand.

Paper article here said about 776,000 sheets were purchased by the DOD for shipment to the Middle East. That's going to have an impact no matter when they do it.
I bought three sheets of 3/4" PTL this week for $31.00 each. That seems high to me. But they did have it in stock.
Bob McConnell N2SPP
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:25:05 GMT, Bob McConnell

I heard they went though a Home Depot self-service line with all 776,000 sheets. None had a bar code. <G>
Barry
On 7 Sep 2003 12:57:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com (Teej) wrote:
[snip]

Or, did he say "grease"?
On 7 Sep 2003 12:57:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com (Teej) wrote:

Did anybody say we were GIVING the materials away?
Even if it's paid for, an order for 3/4 of a million sheets of ply, at a time when factories were slightly rolling back production does funny things to the price.
Barry
Barry Burke asks:

No. But when did Iraq's economy stabilize so that payment is assured?
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico
On 07 Sep 2003 23:24:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Couldn't the same be said for almost any country we send aid to?
Barry
Barry Burke responds:

No. Not too many countries whine about U.S. troops being there, while shooting at said troops and bitching about the violence and disarray in the country.
My guess is that that we're not about to spend 87 billion bucks per African nation. My other guess is that Bush is going to manage to bankrupt the U.S.
Charlie Self
"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico
Charlie Self wrote:

*Going* to? Methinks he already has.

What difference does it make if it IS marked OT? You still piss and moan anyway. Is there no way that you can keep yourself from posting this crap every time you read an off-topic message?

Over the last 4 months I have seen no move in 5'x5' 1/2 9 ply Birch plywood at $22.95 per sheet. Have not purchased any typical Pine plywood in quite some time.
I do work for a Class 8 truck dealership which has extensive logging based customers. Therefore I keep track of mills, lumber demand, and shipments out of the area.
For the last 10 years a large number of regular dimensional lumber saw mills have been closing down. There is approx. 1/4 of what there used to be in Mt, Id, Or, and Wa. However, only one OSB + Plywood plant has closed to my knowledge in that same time. Others, Boise Cascade mainly in my area, have definetly decreased production in the last 3 years. There has been a shift for the truckers to more chip hauling than logs, which would suggest an increase in paper production as well as OSB for housing.
If I recall correctly, the news has been reporting strong housing starts, a good rate of employment amongst construction workers, and untill recent volatility in the underlying funding markets, lifetime lows for house mortgages. One would also have to assume this has tightened supply.
What I have not seen a large increase in of the last year, is finished dimensional lumber being trucked from our area. And I have not seen as many trains loaded with mainly lumber east bound. In our area, a substantial portion of our lumber comes from Canadian mills as there is a running trade dispute about "subsidies" the Canadian Government _might_ provide in the area of the actual timber land costs. (e.g. permits, fees, stumpage costs, environmental reclaimation, court fights over logging)
Alan

I sometimes use Rt 91 through Vermont to Canada. I see trucks heading north with logs and with dimensional lumber. I see truck running south with logs and others with dimensional lumber.
I've always wondered why they just did not all get together and save on trucking. Ed
Are we becoming a colony of Canada? My recollection is that one can define a colony as a people who export raw goods and import finished goods.
Phil Charlie Self wrote:

And you? Where's your OT? And to which of us are you writing?