Plywood in the harsh sun

Hello,

I just had a friend make me a wheelchair and electric scooter for me so I can in and out of my house. It's just plywood, and I would like for you to tell me if I should put something on the raw plywood to protect it from the extremely harsh New Mexico sunshine. Thompson's water seal or just paint or something else to make the plywood last for several years. We can get snow that sits for 3 weeks too. I know that I want to make the ramp surface rough for good traction by sprinkling a handful of sand on the ramp when the paint or sealant or whatever is still wet. What would you recommend that I put on the raw plywood to prolong it's life in the sun?

Thanks,

Cy

Reply to
QuiltShopHopper

Cy wrote:>Hello,

A good coat or two of exterior grade self-priming paint will help a lot. I'm sure there're other ways, too. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

A lot depends on the plywood. A good exterior grade plywood will tolerate the outdoors very well. Without paint it will look ugly but it will not come unglued. An occasional coat of paint should keep it good for ten years.

If you do not have a external grade of plywood all bets are off. Paint will help but it will still come apart.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

I would avoid the Thompson's. I seem to recall that it made my deck slippery as hell - and its protection was minimal.

David

Reply to
Jane & David

Try "porch paint", and the same place you buy it will have an additive you mix into the paint for traction.

As othere have mentioned, be sure to really saturate the edges of the plywood to reduce delamination.

HTH Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Reply to
Mike Patterson

I wipe Waterlox on most things I make using plywood. Don't waster your money on Thompson's.

RB

QuiltSh> Hello,

Reply to
RB

If you want to add the anti-skid sand paper, I found Barb at this website

very honest and extremely reasonable. Click on Sheets, " 9"x33" NON SKID SELF ADHESIVE SHEETS $1.00 EACH SHEET". Also a good source for sand paper.

I have no affiliation with this webpage other than I purchased sand paper from them and was very please with this flesh and blood, brick and mortar, genuine American small business. Gary

Reply to
Gary