Plywood from China

Page 6 of 7

With Billions being pissed away. you got that right.

You mean the Canadians have figured out a way to pay themselves?

Who pays for their health care? Same applies to Japan.
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 03:16:09 -0400, Alan Petrillo

How true - my 2008 Toyota Tacoma was built in California on the same line that built some Pontiac models that year. The previous vehicle was a 1989 Nissan pickup that was built in Tennessee.
A true US-built car? One that's built in your garage, using 50-year-old tools and a 40-year-old Briggs & Stratton engine ;-)
John
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:57:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

A great strategy but sometimes difficult to follow. My last experience was buying a strainer basket for a sink I was installing. In the local outlets all offerings were made in china. Took three to get one where the threads on the basket and tail piece nut actually matched and would hold.
Frank

Back in the 1970s, I used to see a lot of cars with bumper stickers saying "Buy What America Builds." They didn't understand then, any more than you do now. The U.S. auto makers went into the toilet because it took them -- and the UAW -- twenty years to get the message that they needed to *build* what America *buys*.
Doug Miller wrote:

Yes, and between then and now they've made these ridiculous pension deals with the UAW. That's already dealing a death blow to the US Auto Manufactures. I just don't like the fact you can't even go into a hardware store and buy a decent SCREW!!! What is this world coming to???????
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Or anything else for that matter.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

I don't know what is is with you people that you can't find decent products. Maybe if you worried more about function and less about place of manufacture you'd be happier.
--John
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:36:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"

The reason for worry about the place of manufacture is probably due to our experience with crap from said place of manufacture.
Personally, I was never one to blindly buy American, only America, no matter what. Whoever made the best for the money got my business. That meant no American cars, but some pretty good American tools (just 2 examples). Today, you can't find much not made in China, and I've become one who looks for the "Made In USA" (or Europe) sticker 'cause most of the junk from China is just that.
Another example/point. Now-days, even fine china (American and European) is made in China. As is the cheap stuff. So much for distinction. Not to mention a little extra lead (hey, if lead crystal is good, why not leaded dishes?). The question is, is China going to be the manufacturing center of the entire planet? If so, what are the rest of us going to do? Do they have the capacity to handle this task (entire planet)? Of course, if the rest is mostly unemployed (engineering and design staff goes where the manufacturing resides), or flipping burgers, maybe they won't have to worry so much about capacity...
Renata

My IBM T41 ThinkPad was made in China - it's beautifully engineered. (Actually made by Lenovo but at that time was still allowed to put IBM badge on it.)
Bob Martin wrote:

I wonder what else they put in it? Like some kind of spyware chip? I wonder where the Defense Dept. gets their puters? And why on earth are they still using WindBlows. What a bunch of Pinheads.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
J. Clarke wrote:

What? If it don't function then its probably from China! Faulty or defective products coming from China can and is effecting my business. It just pisses me off that we take this shit. I called McFeelys and all their hardware and screws are made in China and Taiwan. Guess Jamestown maybe the last place to buy USA. I kinda wonder if Jamestown is getting stuff from China? Oh well I tried to find USA made.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
"evodawg" wrote:

There is no fastener industry left in the USA, it is all off shore.
As far as Jamestown is concerned, a major portion of their business is stainless where India is a major supplier.
Lew
I'd push an AMERICAN vehicle, before I'd buy Foreign CRAP, that goes for anything. I have a lot of old tools because of this Motto. Support your economy , and it will support you,
Pet Peeve, Honda with bumper sticker SUPPORT your Troops,

Ken wrote:

How many vehicles does Honda build in the US?
How many vehicles do the "American" companies build in Mexico and Canada?
evodawg wrote:
... snip

That's a great straight line for something, but I'm not going there. :-)

I learned long ago to go to an industrial fastener place for my fasteners. It took more time, but it saved me an incredible amount of grief and money. And the price isn't bad either when you buy in quantity.
Lee Michaels wrote:

In the spirit of fine woodworking, I made a trip to Fastenal and bought a big box of stainless steel pop rivets to use with my HF pneumatic riveting tool. :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar