Plywood from China

Page 1 of 7
I'm never using it again.
S.
samson wrote:

So, what was it that convince you? The quality or the intoxicating aroma?

snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

So many things.
S.

Could you be less specific?

Let me see if your reason is the same as mine Went to lumber yard and purchased a 3/4 sheet of furniture grade birch plywood to cut into pieces about 14 inches by 18 inches for a project. The plywood was only about 3/4 usable due to voids in the material, lost another few pieces due to lamanite seperation. Finaly got 8 "good" blocks out of the sheet. Out of the 8 two warped out of shape, so now out of the 12 I needed I have 6 usable blocks and those are from good to fair. While cutting I had a stink in the shop worse then a skunk just not as powerful and went away quickly, while routing the blocks I hit metal and ruined a new 30 dollar router bit. I now have $30 invested in wood and $30 in a router bit and only half of material for my project. Went back to lumber yard purchased a 3/4 inch sheet of furniture grade birch plywood made in Canada, cost $50, got all 12 blocks out of it, no stink while cutting, no metal to ruin router bit, no voids, no warping Is this sad tale something like what you are going through? Sad part is that the lumber yard only carries the china made ply now except by special order.
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

For me, all that except the metal. The separation is bad in parts. Also, some of the birch laminate is superthin, so sanding just a bit took the birch right off. I'm paying the extra 20 bucks or so to get something else next time.
S. to the

Agreed.
Two places in the area, both carrying it, but one being a hardwood place isn't willing to order anything. Other place (Allied in VA) carries Chinese and other. Used to be, their cherry was Canadian. Which was good since it was cut to metric sizes which was a tad bigger than imperial, giving some leeway for a sawcut or two. Now, you gotta specifically request non-Chinese, which fortunately they do have or can get, but it (cherry) was from NCarolina last time I ordered some (fine, except for being non-metric).
Aside, but vaguely related. Went to lunch with some buddies from work. One had just been to Taiwan. He and a couple others were Chinese (but US citizens, etc., etc.). In Taiwan, he said a lot of the people are carrying chopsticks with them that they pull out of their purse at the restaurant. Why? 'Cause the chopsticks in the restaurant are from China and may have some nasty chemicals used to "sterilize" them.
Renata
samson wrote:

Always has been garbage.
What took you so long to discover that<grin>?
Seriously, someday they will learn to play by the rules when selling to a spec market.
Mean time, ignoring them is safest thing you can do.
Lew

Non-disposable chopsticks have been carried to restaurants for a far longer time than China has been a manufacturing player. I bring them because I don't like the rough texture of the cheap chopsticks. I don't trust too much coming out of China, but there's also scaremongering and a bit of urban legend at play. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/chopsticks.asp
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:20:09 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Urban legend or not, the guy who was recounting the tale had just returned from a trip to Taiwan (was Taiwanese himself), and several other diners also hailed from thereabouts (though they hadn't recently visited, but do still have family there). BTW, all used the chopsticks provided by the (USA) restaurant where we dined.
Aside. Had the occasion to use my Porter Cable ROS (barrel grip one) last night. Sticker caught my eye - "Proudly Made in the USA".
Renata
samson wrote:

I hung a mirror for customer the other day. Used 2 heavy duty lags, well the head of one lag sheered off and the mirror came crashing to the tile floor. Damage, the mirror broke into pieces, the frame also broke, the tile under the mirror cracked. The screw cost how much? Later I find out its not even made of steel, its made from Zinc and made in China. I charged $50.00 to hang the mirror. It will cost much more than that to replace the tile and the mirror, not to mention fixing the scratch on the wall. All because of a lousy screw. Thanks China, for turning a life long customer into a lost irate one. Wondering where you go for customer support for something like this? Freakin Chinese CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
"evodawg" wrote:
<SNIP a tale of fastener woe>

SFWIW, I standardized on 316L fasteners a long time ago.
WHY:
It's the standard for marine applications which is my primary area..
China is NOT a supplier of 316L, YET.
Fasteners, for the most part, represent a small percentage of the total project cost, so purchase price is not an issue.
Jamestown Distributors has an extensive S/S inventory so availability is not usually an issue.
They don't rust.
They look purty<grin>
Lew

On packaged stuff from China, as a matter of routine, I buy it and open and inspect right there in the store. Saves gas getting to the returns desk. learned that the hard way.
Frank

Saves even more time if you set it aside the moment you see the magic words "Made in China" and get something better instead.
Eventually, I'm sure they'll start making better-quality products -- I'm old enough to remember when the words "Made in Japan" meant "crap", and we all now what those words mean *now* -- but it may not happen until after they've transitioned to a capitalist economy.
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics, next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Next for automotive? Have you looked around in a parking lot in the past 10 years?
Our front lot at work was 100% US about 15 years ago, now it has a lonely Ford, a US built Korean car and three Japanese imports. Back lot is better, about 60 -40 in favor of US.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Whine whine whine whine whine.
Ed, you live in Connecticut. Connecticut has lost many manufacturing jobs, not because of competition from overseas, but because manufacturing in Connecticut is almost exclusively for the military--who are the major employers in manufacturing in Connecticut? Electric Boat, Pratt & Whitney, Sikorski, Colt, etc. Why did the jobs go away? Not because the Chinese started making nuclear submarines and jet engines and helicopters and M16s but because the Congress decided that we have enough submarines and jet airplanes and helicopters and M16s. Why aren't there any _consumer_ manufacturing jobs? Because the idiots in the statehouse have taxed them out of existence--no company hoping to compete in any consumer products area is going to set up in Connecticut because some outfit in a state that is friendly to business instead of sucking off the DOD teat will eat their lunch.
If you want manufacturing jobs in Connecticut then talk to your idiot legislators about cutting taxes on manufacturing way, way back, and provide some incentives for manufacturing to come to Connecticut. Not gonna happen--Connecticut is a suburb of New York City that doesn't see manufacturing as being of any real importance compared to stock trading and lawyering and insurance and whatnot.
If Japan and China fell off the face of the Earth there still wouldn't be any manufacturing jobs in Connecticut. If you want to work in manufacturing you picked the wrong state to live in.
The US exports more than 1.4 trillion dollars worth of goods every year. If there is no manufacturing in the US where do they come from?
--John

In addition to all the valid reasons above, add the cost of utilities. We have the highest electric rates, fuel oil cost, and natural gas. All are needed for manufacturing. Where I work we are still under contract at 15.1 for electric, but other parts of the country it is about a third of that.
J. Clarke wrote:

We have lots of smaller specialty manufacters, like Hamer guitars (woodworking content), Kaman music (Ovation), Peter Paul (as in Mounds), Cannondale, Horton Brasses (woodworking content), etc...
You're right that we don't do so well with large scale, non-military stuff.
B A R R Y wrote: ...

Deere, Caterpillar, etc., are doing just fine, thank you.
As are Boeing (commercial as well as military), Cessna, Hawker/Beechcraft, ...
Selective "name that tune" here plays a part, too...