Plywood at Home Depot question.

Page 2 of 2

The local HD has begun carrying Sande (A Central American hardood that looks a bit like blond Mahogany) plywood. Hechingers used to carry it.
I found the half-inch stacked under a stack of birch plywoood. The Sande had 7 plys fairly thick face veneers, and all the plys look to be Sande. The birch had 5 plys, extemely thin face veneers, and the interior plys were poplar. The Sande was noticeable lighter and much stiffer.
So, apologizing in advance for possibly insulting you on your ability to recognize wood species, are you sure the 14 ply sheets were birch?
--

FF

Thanks to all for your replys. I have no idea what wood the core is made from. The veneer is Birch. If I can get some info from HD I will post it.
On 28 Oct 2003 08:54:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

I wouldn't count on finding anyone at HD who knows more than you.
--
FF

"Barada nikto too!"

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Count on them knowing less.

Maybe I have encountered some lucky exceptions, but I have talked with a couple of people at our local HD that are quite knowledgeable. There are two older men in the tools area that have help with me technical details of some of the tools. In some cases, steering me towards their own stock, in other cases, recommending specialty stores in the area. In other cases, I have gotten helpful advice in electrical and plumbing areas.
I can say that the most helpful people look to be retirement age and might be doing this as a side job after retirement. I would stay away from the 17 year old stock boy who doesn't even know what 2x4 means.
I saw a 7-ply ?? birch/maple at HD for $30.
I dont recall the number of plys, but it was not the "many" ply cabinet stuff.
For $30 I was thinking it may be good for shop cabinets and misc bookshelves/cabinets around the house.