Plywood armor plating

Page 10 of 10
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

us
what
remain
I preferred to sit on my flak jacket, in any type of transport, be it ground or air, instead of wearing it ... for all the good that would do. But there is comfort, if false security, in liittle things like that which allow your mind to accept the risks and to keep going.

went
A tragic loss of life ... and contrary to what most likely think I would say in this thread, a needless one.
I firmly believe we need to take the battle to the Islamic fundamentalist, but we need to choose those battles wisely. I don't agree for a minute that we have done so, but all the head-in-the-sand ignoring of the reality that we damn well better see it to the end, regardless of the wisdom of the initial choice, just floors me.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Use your head, Larry. "Every" person? Patently ridiculous and you know it. How about just the radical Islamic fundamentalist, who would kill Larry Jacques anywhere they can find Larry Jacques, including Larry Jacques' own street, in case your memory is that short.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

OK. You tell me......

Don't wish ill for your enemy; plan it.
--
"De inimico non loquaris sed cogites."

proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ah. Thanks. I tried searching around but could not find it.
Old Nick wrote:

That's not what it says. It says "Don't talk about your enemy, but think." Anything else you get out of it is a question of interpretation.

Damn it, you're right! Never believe a usenet translation. Should be something with optatio and malus.
--
"Never believe a Latin translation on Usenet"

Ed Clarke wrote:

Nunquam credes... Um... Dang.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:59:13 -0500, Silvan

Vulgates (Vulgato?) ...

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

.... and Monday morning quarterbacks are still a dime a dozen.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Won't comment on this.

That may be true for RPGs but other shaped charges can't be dismissed so easily. TOW missiles use shaped-charge warheads. We (Hughes Aircraft) learned and/or predicted that it was actually better to start the plasma earlier, not later, and thus the later versions have an extendable probe that moves the crush switch further in front of the missile.
I was told that this was discovered by accident, although I have my doubts. The story was that there was a spec requirement that the missile needed to penetrate some thickness of plywood without detonation and detonate going through some greater thickness. (True) This was to simulate a ground pounder having to shoot through light brush. Tests were performed at Redstone (http://www.redstone.army.mil/history /) wherein sheets of plywood were placed some distance in front of a steel backstop and high speed films were taken as the missile flew through the plywood to determine performance. It was duly noted that more damage to the steel occurred when the warhead went off early.
See: http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-71.html
and look at the photo of the variants and you can see the progression.

Depends on the thickness of the target. The optimum is some classified number (about 2.1, AFAIK) times the max armour thickness. TOW is a heavy missile intended for heavy armour. RPGs are a much lighter thing - there's no point in giving them a long standoff, they'd just lose the jet's cohesion.
The point of the spaced armour though is not to provide a "long" standoff, so much as a "different" standoff from the one designed for.
--
Smert' spamionam

"AL" wrote in message

this:
Surely you know better than to ask ... or is that you just wanted to give this ridiculous sob story a little more coverage?
This guy didn't join up to serve for his country, he joined up to enrich himself with tuition benefits and got a rude surprise when he actually had to do something besides go along for the easy ride ... poor baby. As the former CO of a combat unit, I recognize the attitude all too well ... it was often responsible for getting other's killed. I can guarantee you that those who had to pull his reluctant ass along are glad to see him go.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

funny as it sounds, a slanted piece of plywood MIGHT possibly deflect an m-16 or SAG round, as they tend to tumble when they hit something... Of course, an ak-47 would just make swiss cheese out of it..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Nate Perkins notes:

I live in Falwell country, so I get to hear the good stories.
It is rumored that as a Marine lieutenant, Robertson was on a ship to Korea, but got daddy's political help to get diverted to Japan. I guess at that age he didn't trust in the Lord to keep him bulletproof.
You really wouldn't want to hear the legends of how Reverend Falwell got his fiscal legs under him in this area, but it does involve a lot of conning old folks out of property and money in a slick enough manner that no prosecutions were possible.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush