Plywood armor plating

Page 6 of 10

Got a project for ya, Greg. 1) Look up the dictionary definition of "fascist". 2) Explain how it applies to Falwell and Limbaugh.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Correct strictly as dictionary definition. In the political arena however, a mandate refers to a sizable margin of victory. Although of late mouthpieces of both parties have been using the term regardless despite slim victories.

Number of votes or percentages be damned. The fact is W is sitting in the oval office. It doesn't matter now if you or I voted for him, against him or didn't vote at all. He is THE president. He is MY president. Flame at will Oh ye of small minds.......
Coth
Cothian writes:

Well, sure. He is. That is somewhat similar to my ingrown toenail. I didn't want that, either.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
Charlie Self wrote:

Personally right now I'd feel a lot better if FDR was sitting in that chair instead of Shrub. But I suspect that Shrub, if you asked him when he had enough liquor in him to give an honest answer, probably would say the same thing.

--
--John
J. Clarke writes:

You're making an assumption that may be unwarranted: that Shrub has enough self-knowledge to admit someone else might do a better job than he can do.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
Charlie Self wrote:

Actually I'm suggesting that the seat is hot enough that he'd rather be seeing someone else get burned if he could get out of it without appearing to be running away.

--
--John

Well said... If ya can't respect the man, at least respect the office...
If you look at before and after pictures of presidents, they all look like hell in just 4 years... not a job I'd want....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 11:24:06 -0800, mac davis

The fascist right wing in this country was very comfortable pretending that Clinto was not its president.

Thy all appear to age quite a bit. The only exception that I can think of is Regan, maybe Eisenhower as well. One of the realities that promote that is that a high percentage of presidents are in the age range when people often visibly age quite a bit, even without the influence of a presidency.

Heh. Perfect example. I respected the office then too, _and_ felt/feel strongly that he wasn't worthy of it.

When was Regan President?

Well sure, he was bald to start, wasn't he? The most visible change seems to be that the hair goes white.

I agree: the president is our president, like him or not.

After Carter, before George I. Oh, you mean I didn't spell his name correctly. Why didn't you just say so ?

The most visible changes to me is that their eyes look much older and their faces become more lined.

On this we agree.

I thought maybe you had made a different mistake.

OK. To me it's the hair, to you it's the eyes.
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:35:26 -0700, Doug Winterburn

My heavens! Now he's up from 1/4 of 1% to 1/3 of 1% ! An overwhelming amount of support if I ever did see one! Yupper! Gotta grasp those straws where one can.
-snip-

Let me guess: math wasn't your best subject in school, was it?
Hint: one percent of 120 is one-point-two.
For the record, here are the actual figures: Bush 60,608,582 (51.231%) Kerry 57,288,974 (48.425%) Nader 406,924 (0.344%) [Source: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/president/ ]
The difference is 3,319,608 votes out of 118,204,480 cast, or 2.806%.
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:54:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

-snip-
The problem here is that the prez and the rest of y'all have decided that you'll just ignore the nearly equal number of Americans who voted against the guy. And, that a lot of folks voted for him because they were scairt.

Yes, I threw in an extra zero.
But this seems to be the SOP. 3% margin dictates a mandate; a couple ancient shells indicates massive stockpiles of WMD; well, you get the idea.
Renata

I like the way you just gloss right over the figures in your snide remark being off by _an_order_of_magnitude_.
No, Renata, the real problem here is that some people just can't get over the fact that their guy _lost_. Are you one of the folks I read about in the paper who's seeking therapy for Post Election Stress Trauma or whatever?

No, you left one out.

You didn't have any problem with Clinton winning two elections in a row with less than a majority of the popular vote, did you?
Doug Miller notes:

Nope. And I don't have a problem with Shrub winning twice in a row, but that doesn't change my opinion about him. He's a duplicitous twerp who is going to do major damage to the economic structure of this country, beyond what he has already done.
The fact that 51% of the voting public disagrees with me still doesn't change my opinion, so you neocons will need to get over that.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

has
Without intending, note that you've just basically described every sitting member of congress. Bush, or Clinton for that matter, couldn't succeed in "duplicity" without the _complicity_ of the power hungry and greedy bastards, of both parties, supposedly representing the people.
Lawmaker lawyers and lobbyist - a pox on good government, and cancers on the body politic.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Not unintentional. I just believe Bush is slightly more of a twerp than most of the others.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
Charlie Self wrote:

Charlie, I'm a lifelong Republican and I agree with you about Bush. The trouble is that Kerry looked to be different from Bush only in the line of bullshit he was spouting, so I decided to stick with the devil I knew rather than the one that I didn't.
I never thought I'd see anybody manage to make Clinton look good but Shrub is getting there.

--
--John