Plywood armor plating

Page 5 of 10

: Another example of the "tolerant, open-minded" left, eh? Someone who : becomes addicted to pain killers as a result of having them prescribed for : severe backpain
He bought *thousands* of pills, ilegally, over a few months. This clearly exceeds some sort of accidental addiction, don't you think?
Or do you forgive any high-seeking person so long as he spouts the political views you adhere to?
    -- Andy Barss
is somewhat different than someone who was out searching : for the next and best high, don't ya think? But, since this gives you : something to beat on and impugn with, impugn away. Says more about the : shallowness of the so-called open-mindedness of the left than anything : else.
: +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ : : The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
: Army General Richard Cody : : +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Andy Barss

You know Andy, for a college professor and scientist, you make some pretty obtuse arguments. Once someone has become addicted to a substance, the behavior of that person in feeding that addiction is no longer logical nor rational. The facts are that strong pain killers were prescribed for his back pain, he became addicted to those pain killers and the effects they produced, he continued to crave those pain killers while addicted. This is worlds apart from someone who goes out partying looking for new and better highs, i.e. deliberately seeking out the drugs for the effect. The end result is no different, the causative agent is.

Given the circumstances of the addiction, it would seem that forgiveness and treatment are reasonable regardless of the political leanings of the addict.
Or are you suggesting that because of the political leanings of the person, the punishments should be much harsher than for those with whom you agree?
Mark & Juanita responds:

Uh, well, not much, since we don't really know what put that junkie on his trip to find another high...be we do know Limbaugh used his connections and money to find another high, something the street junkie couldn't do.
Your comment says more about your lack of knowledge of human nature than anything else.
And I think I've done this before.
Bye.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:02:06 -0700, Mark & Juanita

You are talking about Rush, I presume, the Champion of the Downtrodden, the Man Who Empathizes With the Weak, the Frail, and Those Whom Life Has Led Astray ???? If that junkie showed *any* signs of humanity towards others who have made similar "mistakes" (and had their housekeeper do the dirty work for them because they didn't have the guts to do it for themselves), I might agree with you.

Just curious: do the ellipses in the transcript indicate pauses in Falwell's speaking, or places where some of his words have been omitted?

(shrug) You have a point?
Here's what William F. Buckley had to say about (what he calls) Falwell's "ignorant misapplication of Christian thought":
http://www.nationalreview.com/buckley/buckley091801.shtml
I love it when the "conservatives" all try to outdo each other in the race to look most sanctimonious.

They should know better than to try and compete with sanctimonious moral relativists who preach tolerance only for their point of view.

Just wondering if that's a complete transcript, or if it's been edited.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

That's the second time you've suggested it's a misrepresentation of what was said. So I challenge you to demonstrate it. Good luck.

That's completely untrue, as is shown above. I have never suggested that it's a misrepresentation. What I wrote is clear enough to anyone with a working understanding of the English language, but since you seem to have difficulty with that, I'll attempt to clarify:
In the transcript you cited, there are ellipses ( "..." ) at several points in the quotation ascribed to Falwell. Ellipses, when quoting a speaker, are generally used for one of two purposes: to indicate omitted words, or to indicate pauses in speech. I'm just curious which of the two it is in this case. If you don't know, why don't you just say so?
Doug Miller wrote:

So am I so I wrote them and asked. Dunno if they'll respond, but if they do I'll post their answer--in alt.politics.
Regardless, clearly it was intollerant religious 'fundamentalists,' not secularists, who were responsible for the attacks on teh WTC and Pentagon.
Ironically the term 'fundamentalist' is typically used today in reference to those who respect anything BUT the fundamentals of their religion.
--
Ptfffth!

FF

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

Why do you keep asking if it has been edited? Obviously you are trying to imply that it has been misrepresented by editing out some context.

Because, as I've _already_said_twice_, the transcript contains marks that are often used to indicate the omission of words in quoted material. Is that what they're used for here?
Why do you keep dodging the question? If you don't know, say so.

To anyone with a working understanding of the English language, it is obvious that I am *asking* if some context has been edited out.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

If you want to claim that context has been edited out, then you'll have to show that. It's not my job to do Google searches for you.

that I am *asking* if some context has been edited out.
If you don't know, fine. Say so.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

Doug, that's like the third time you've tried to insult my grasp of the English language ... all on the pretext that you can't be bothered to do your own Google searches. Well, hello ... I am not going to provide you with any information to help your argument. If you are interested enough to have the discussion, then you will just have to get sufficiently motivated to go figure it out for yourself. I am certainly not interested enough.
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:47:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You most certainly did. It's your standard response. You yourself never provide a shred of evidence, however. It is because you do not have any and because you don't, you will twist what is presented to you. It's like the Bushies who avoided Nam but were going to make mud of Kerry's volunteer service.

It is plain to anyone who is able to read and understand English that I made no suggestions of any sort. I asked a question.
I'm not sure what it is you expect me to provide evidence of, because I made no claims of anything. I asked a question.
I didn't "twist" anything. I asked a question.
And you obviously don't know the answer. That's fine. But I think that by now it's time to admit that you don't know.
(Hint for those who have trouble telling the difference between questions and suggestions: my last statement above *is* a suggestion.)
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in (Doug Miller)

So, Doug ... How long have you been beating your wife?
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:42:55 GMT, Nate Perkins

Buckley is a conservative. Guys like Falwell and Limbaugh are fascists who would do us in if they had the power to do so.