Plywood armor plating

Page 4 of 10  
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:18:30 -0500, Renata wrote:

Yet a few of them don't act like it as they are unable to accept the results of the election process.

Closer to 4 million.

Making false statements won't justify your inability to accept the outcome. Unlike his predecessor who had over 50% of the voters vote against him in both of his victories, at least Bush had less than 50% vote against him in his re-election.

What? More inaccuries?

mandate: A command or an authorization given by a political electorate to its representative.
Yup, that's what any elected president gets.
Since the previous president claimed a mandate with less than 50% of the vote, wouldn't you think that more than 50% of the vote is even more of a mandate?
- Doug
--

To escape criticism--do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." (Elbert Hubbard)


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
: Making false statements won't justify your inability to accept the : outcome. Unlike his predecessor who had over 50% of the voters vote : against him in both of his victories, at least Bush had less than 50% vote : against him in his re-election.
Out of everyone who cared to vote, Clinton won.
Out of everyone who cared to vote, Bush II won by the slimmest margin in recent history.
Yeah, he has a mandate all right.
One to pay attention to everyone, not just the *very* slim majority that elected him, and/or the Protestant religious fanatics.
    -- Andy Barss
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

57% of the people who cared to vote in 92 voted against Clinton. 52% voted against hiim in 96.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 05:31:47 +0000, Andrew Barss wrote:

Andy, Andy, Andy! And we pay _you_ to "educate" out children? What a waste of our taxpayers dollars :-(

--

To escape criticism--do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." (Elbert Hubbard)


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
: On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 05:31:47 +0000, Andrew Barss wrote:
: Andy, Andy, Andy! And we pay _you_ to "educate" out children? What a : waste of our taxpayers dollars :-(
Doug --
    Mark said much the same thing a couple months ago, and I let it pass, but this is getting tiresome, so:
1) I understand you disagree with me on matters of politics. So be it. I like your opinions, and the ways you arrive at and express them, about as much as you like mine. So it goes.
2) I know very little about you, other than
    a) you're very conservative     b) you have a high opinion of yourself (who doesn't?)     c) you do woodworking     d) you live in Arizona     e) you seem to have a *major* copyright violation on your      personal webpage.
3) I quite specifically don't know what you do for a living: sysadmin? Burger flipper? Banker? Prison guard? Tycoon?
4) I wouldn't presume to conclude anything about what specifically you do, or how well you do it, at your job, based on (2a-e). It's irrelevant. You may be very good at what you do, or really bad at it, independent of, for example, your support of the Iraqi invasion.
5) What I do, as a professor and scientist, has absolutely nothing to do with politics, religion, or history (other than history of science). What I do for a living, and how well I do it, has utterly nothing to do with much of anything I say on rec.woodworking: it has nothing to do with my political views, what kind of furniture I like, what my favorite finish for maple burl is, etc. My students have no idea what my political opinions, stance on abortion, preferences in shellac type, etc. are.
SO I will thank you to do the same for me as I say in (4). Doing otherwise is either plain stupid, or willfully mean, or perhaps both.
    -- Andy Barss
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Winterburn wrote:

obviously did not have the largest "percentage" cast against him. What he DID have was the largest actual number of votes cast against a sitting Pres.
Another fact not likely to have appeared on Fox.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Nor the other damned lie (statistic) on the other networks.
In our ignorance we're regressing to "fundamentalism" of the sort that rejects all other opinions save the interpretation by our priestly classes. I for one would rather not have Dean or Michael Moore as my theologian - nor Dan Rather as my pontiff.
Hope for greater understanding no longer lies in schools, as evidenced by recent events, because they're more concerned with orthodoxy than education.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

He also had the largest actual number of votes cast *for* a sitting President, or for any other candidate. [With the possible exception of Ronald Reagan in 1984; I'm not sure of the exact numbers.]
Neither fact should come as much of a surprise to any thinking individual, given that this election had a higher number of voters than any previous Presidential election.
Nor should *that* surprise anyone, as the U.S. population is higher now than at any previous time.

Sad but true. Of course, there are always private schools.
-- Regards, Doug Miller (alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)
Get a copy of my NEW AND IMPROVED TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter by sending email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com You must use your REAL email address to get a response.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:22:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

... which are often even more orthodox.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I guess that depends on (a) whether you're talking about morals or educational practices[*], and (b) what you mean by "orthodox" when referring to the latter. For example, it was customary -- "orthodox" if you will -- for many, many years to teach reading by phonics, and arithmetic by rote memorization of addition and multiplication tables. It's hardly a coincidence that the decline in reading and mathematical skills in the United States in the last three or four decades followed directly on the heels of the abandonment of these practices. Which is the "orthodoxy" -- phonics, or "look-say" reading? Sadly, it's probably the latter now, although it didn't used to be that way.
It depends on the private school, too. Some have bought into the latest psychobabble fads even more deeply than the public schools; others, more concerned with educating students than with making their parents feel warm and fuzzy, hew toward more traditional methods of education and discipline.
[ * We pulled our son out of public school after they announced their "value neutral" curriculum for the coming year. (That wasn't the only reason, but it sure played a part.) I *want* my kids to be taught in school that it's *wrong* to cheat, to steal, to lie. We teach them that at home, of course -- but I want the school to reinforce that, not undermine it by telling them that there is no such thing as right or wrong. Say what you will about Catholic schools; one thing is certain: nobody can accuse the Catholic Church of ever having taught "value neutral" anything. ]
-- Regards, Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
Nobody ever left footprints in the sands of time by sitting on his butt. And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:30:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote: -snip-

Finally! We agree on something. Good commentary.
REnata
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But that junkie Rush is ok, eh ?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why is it that your kind will always imply that if someone doesn't respect Michael "Never met a fact I wouldn't distort" Moore, that they must then somehow be in bed with Rush?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Isn't it obvious? All his arguments are as powerful as a popcorn fart.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, sure, but I figured I'd point out that we're on to him. Should I have not done that?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, Georgie, Dave created a popcorn fart strawman and you in your infinite perspicacity took it up and ran with it. So where did the comparison come down to Michael and the junkie ?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Can you answer my question, Greg? Why do you assume that just because I think Moore is a liar, that I would then like Rush?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"My kind" (whatever slimy thought that represents) has never implied that you ever went to bed with the guy, only that you think like him.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's my point, Greg. "your kind" in this context, is "people who assume and imply something not justified based on an observation". I haven't listened to Rush in years, and didn't particularly care for the guy ever. Just because we (rightly) point out that Michael Moore is a lying sack of shit, doesn't mean we _do_ like Rush, or Hannity, or whoever the heck else you disagree with.
Got it now?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Another example of the "tolerant, open-minded" left, eh? Someone who becomes addicted to pain killers as a result of having them prescribed for severe backpain is somewhat different than someone who was out searching for the next and best high, don't ya think? But, since this gives you something to beat on and impugn with, impugn away. Says more about the shallowness of the so-called open-mindedness of the left than anything else.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.