Plunge v Fixed Base Router

Page 1 of 2
I have looked on the Internet and cannot find the answer to this question:
If I get a plunge router will it do EVERYTHING that a fixed base router will do if the base is locked up?
Sorry for the simple question, but I can't believe that I can't find the answer on the web anywhere.
In rec.woodworking

Yes, a plunge router is a SUPERset of a fixed base router.
Mark Dailey wrote:

I think so. The difference is degree of precision of depth adjustment. Fixed base is more precise. Get router combo pack, the one which comes with both fixed base and plunge. For example see: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId521-353-1617PK You can attach fixed base to some simple improvised router table and use plung base for a hand held use.
Dmitri
No.
.

I wholly support your right to be WRONG!
--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite
"Erik" <erikl_nospam_at_nospam_syserco.com> wrote in message

CW, I've learned from you in the past - How about explaining your position.
--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite
"Erik" <erikl_nospam_at_nospam_syserco.com> wrote in message

Some plunge routers have more precise depth adjustments mechanisms than others, some are not. For what I have, Bosh combo kit, fixed base is more precise.
Dmitri
CW wrote:

The plunge base is typically heavier, so if you're using one all day you may prefer the fixed.
Art

I suppose it can, but to me a plunge router is not ideal often. It is not ideal in a table application. It is larger and more cumbersome (given the same size motor) for edge work on smaller pieces. In fact, I really only use a plunge base in cases where I'm truely benefitting by the plunge action - i.e. when I need to route material "inside" a piece without starting from the edge, such as when mortising since I don't have a mortiser.
Just my preferences, FWIW.
Brian.

=========================I share Brians opinions ...
If I had ONLY one router then I would have to own a Plunge...because when you need that feature you DO NEED IT... but I rarely NEED the ability to make a Plunge cut...
I have routers that are dedicated for table use (a couple of regular tables, an overhead Pin router table and a horizontal table...all these tables have routers that never leave them... And I have one router that sits next to my plunge router that I use for 90 percent of my hand held operations... The Plunge router gets very little use..BUT like I said when I need that feature I can pull the plunge router off the shelf...
Bob Griffiths
I have a combo set and it is nice to have the plunge base when I need but 9 times out of 10 I use the fixed base.

not
the
only
tables,
have
my
feature
The DW 621 might. See http//www.patwarner.com/621_offset.html link for some evidence ***********************************************

Hey Mark, I'd listen to Pat here. He's definitely the expert. You should also check out his website and his books. I have no affiliation but I am a fan of Mr. Warner.

question:
Basically, I will want to be able to do things that both types can do and for now if I can get a plunge router to do what a fixed base can do (even if it's not as easy) that's what I want. I'll be in an apartment on a smaller budget for at least 2 more years so I'd rather have one tool that can do both even if it limps along at fixed base stuff.
I've looked at combo kits, but I read somewhere that for heavy-duty work like panel making one should get a router with at least 2.75 HP; I haven't seen any combos that are that size - at least not Porter Cable. I figure that once you get to the $250+ range they are all the same, but I've got my mind set on a Porter Cable.
Actually for now I just want to be able to 'dress' the edges of shelves and maybe do some moulding/trim work so all I would need for now is a fixed base, but would rather get one tool if I can get away with it -- thinking ahead. The truth of the matter is that I will probably be able to afford another really good router by the time I'm advanced enough to do plunge stuff, but I'd rather have a 2-in-1 if I can.
Another question: I have one of those Black & Decker folding Workmates - is it possible to rig a mount in it to hold a router?
One of the many B&D Workmate router tables http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id 08
Google search for workmate router tables http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%2Bworkmate+%2B%22router+table%22
I have two 3+HP plunge routers, one is fixed speed and the other is variable speed. The plunge router will do everything a fixed base router will do and just as easily. I use my router daily hand held or in a table with no problems. My advice is to get a quality large variable speed plunge router.
While you are looking at routers you might want to have a look at the Triton router very innovative, an excellent router. http://www.triton.net.au/products/router_2.html Review here http://cerealport.net/woodworking/triton/index.html

Thank you all for your replies. I just hope that some day I'm good enough at something to give sound advice. Right now I just kinda' know a 'medium' amount about many things, but am an expert in none.
I'm definitely going to get a 3.25 HP unit (Porter-Cable 7539) http://porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&p (22 and I really like the Popular Woodworking Workmate router table. It may be a bit beyond my skill level, but I can probably muddle through it. If not my brother-in-law can certainly help me with it.
There was also a really cool one linked off of one of the sites in the Google link, but it is a complete free-standing table. I grabbed those plans too because I will definitely build one of those when I have a house.
Thanks Everyone, Mark Dailey
Sprog wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%2Bworkmate+%2B%22router+table%22
Mark; Have you considered the Hitachi M12V, which also is a 3-1/4 hp unit? Cost appears to be about 60% of the PC. I definitely wouldn't exchange mine for that PC even without considering the price difference.
Brian
| Thank you all for your replies. I just hope that some day I'm good | enough at something to give sound advice. Right now I just kinda' know | a 'medium' amount about many things, but am an expert in none. | | I'm definitely going to get a 3.25 HP unit (Porter-Cable 7539) | http://porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&p (22 and I really like the | Popular Woodworking Workmate router table. It may be a bit beyond my | skill level, but I can probably muddle through it. If not my | brother-in-law can certainly help me with it. | | There was also a really cool one linked off of one of the sites in the | Google link, but it is a complete free-standing table. I grabbed those | plans too because I will definitely build one of those when I have a house. | | Thanks Everyone, | Mark Dailey | | Sprog wrote: | > One of the many B&D Workmate router tables | > http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id 08 | > | > Google search for workmate router tables | > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%2Bworkmate+%2B%22router+table%22 | > | > I have two 3+HP plunge routers, one is fixed speed and the other is variable | > speed. The plunge router will do everything a fixed base router will do and | > just as easily. I use my router daily hand held or in a table with no | > problems. | > My advice is to get a quality large variable speed plunge router. | > | > While you are looking at routers you might want to have a look at the Triton | > router very innovative, an excellent router. | > http://www.triton.net.au/products/router_2.html | > Review here | > http://cerealport.net/woodworking/triton/index.html |
I don't know - I'm stubborn. In one of the other posts someone suggested a Triton. It looks great. I bet the Hitachi is great, but what about durability/longevity? I know Porter-Cable has been around for decades. I've got it in my head that certain tools should be of a certain brand i.e.:
Router: Porter-Cable Belt Sander: Porter-Cable Drill: DeWalt or Milwaulkee Recriprocating Saw: Milwaukee Circular Saw: Skil Band Saw: Delta
I don't know where I got these ideas; either from watching home improvement shows for years or watching what building engineers and contractors in office buildings use or a dream, but these are just burned in my head as the brands for those tools.