Plunge Router Travel

At present I have a Porter Cable 2 HP router that will plunge about

2" , Would like to buy another plunge router that would plunge 21/2" to 3". Can anybody tell me if this is even possible and if so what make? Would like to be able to plunge this depth for deep mortises. Thanks.

Vic

Reply to
Victor H.

This should get it done. I heard a few bad reports when these came out, but later on it turned out to be operator error. For what you want (not worrying about lateral loading so much) they should be fine:

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Milwaukee 2 1/4 hp 2 7/8" plunge Porter Cable 3 1/4hp = 3" plunge Etc. Get a up-cut spiral bit and you are good to go. I would still do it in a few steps maybe 1/2" to 3/4" per pass depending on the material. Just make a good jig so you can good repeatable passes.

Maybe like this (one of my fav's)

Or just Google "router mortise jig" and look at the "images" for a few thousand other ideas ;-)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

The router collet extension sold by MLCS mentioned above looks good. BUT t he wrench flats on the extension piece are about 1 inch or so around. If y ou were trying to extend a 1/2" spiral bit that is 4" long for example, the wrench flats would prevent you from using the extra length the extension p iece provides. It kind of only works as an extension if you are routing a hole that is 1-1.25-1.5 inches diameter or greater. So the wrench flats ca n fit into the hole you routed. Not sure this extension piece is really ve ry useful in the real world. Most holes I rout are 1/2" or less. Rarely r out holes over 1 inch in diameter.

I have the Porter Cable 7539 router mentioned above. Great router. 3" plu nge. 5 speeds. Soft start. 1/2" and 1/4" collets available.

Reply to
russellseaton1