Plunge Router/Guide Bushing advice

I'm getting closer to committing myself to building my next project using mortise and tenon joinery, something I've not done before. I'll need to buy a plunge router and I'm wondering what I should know in terms of getting one that will accept common guide bushings and work well with them.
I believe I've already read (here) that guide bushings likely to be off-center with respect to the bit, so one needs to keep a single reference edge. And I saw something that suggests that there are two kinds of bushings; one for Bosch and one for everything else. Beyond that, I know nothing.
Greg Guarino wrote:

I have a Porter Cable, and the guide bushing indeed was off-center to the bit and for cutting round recesses it was noticeable. I fixed it by removing the sole plate, making a flat recess for the screws and enlarging the screw hole a little. I put the plate back on loosely and put a cone in the router (I had one made by a machinist) and centered the guide on the cone, then tightened the screws. The cone is inverted with a 1/4" shaft sticking out where the tip of the cone should be. When the plunge is retracted it pulls the cone into the guide bushing and centers it automatically.
--
 GW Ross

 We now return you to your regularly
On 4/2/15, 8:04 AM, G. Ross wrote:

You can also use a dovetail bit in a pinch.
-BR
--- ---
On 4/2/2015 8:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Most good routers have a base plate that is attached with a pan head style screw that fits in an over sized hole. This enables you to move the base plate until it is perfectly centered over the bit. This attaches in the router collet to aid with centering the guide bushing base assembly.
This shows a Rockler bushing set and centering tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCvYeRCtYA

The Bosch 1617 router comes in a kit with fixed base and plunge base for about $200. I paid that amount for just the fixed base version in 1998.
And now for my Festool pitch. Since you appear to be taking wood working seriously and if you think you are to continue your interest you are going to find that mortise and tenon joinery is hard to beat in terms of strength. The Festool Domino is damn expensive but makes cutting mortises accurately and quickly for use with floating tenons as easy as using a biscuit cutter/plate joiner. And it can be used for many other uses.
A plunge router is a great tool to have in the shop but the Domino is better suited for cutting specific sized mortises. I seldom use a plunge router, and have 3.
On 4/2/2015 11:10 AM, Leon wrote:

I've seen it for $189. I'm considering it.

In this case I'm thinking of using through tenons that would need to be rectangular.
On 4/2/2015 10:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Understood, but faux tenons tenons could be used in the exposed spots, the appearance of through tenons.

Home Depot often has it at that price. I have the 1613, which was the predecessor to the 1617, and have been very happy with it (I only have a plunge base for it).
One thing to consider is if you expect to ever do a lot of router table work, like raising panels. The 1617 will be underpowered for big bits like panel raisers. But at 2.25 horses, it's big for a plunge router, and a bit unweildy. A combination of a smaller plunge router, and a big 3hp fixed-base router dedicated to table use, could be a more versatile choice.
OTOH, if you think you're good with just one router, the Bosch 1617 combo would be hard to beat.
BTW, a great first project with a router is to build a router table.
John
On 4/2/2015 3:23 PM, John McCoy wrote:

I have four routers, believe it or not, one of which is in a table. But all of them have various limitations, so I appreciate your advice.
John wrote:

------------------------------------------------ "Greg Guarino" wrote:

----------------------------------------------- A plan:
Buy the 1617 combo and mount the fixed base in a table you build without sub base plate.
Mount Pat Warner's sub base in the plunge unit.
If you need a fixed base unit for free hand (template) work, add another Pat Warner sub base to an existing fixed base router.
Lew
On 4/2/2015 4:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

For now I have ordered the Bosch, as several people have recommended, along with a set of guide bushings. I plan to do some experimenting and jig making before I start my project in earnest. Thanks to all.
"Greg Guarino" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------- Time for Pat Warner.
http://tinyurl.com/lmrondk
Get a combo kit such as the Bosch.
Lew
+1 on what Leon wrote. I got my Domino off a CL ad for considerably less than new as I couldn't justify the investment on a new unit. It is magic!
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 8:35:31 AM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

On 4/2/2015 8:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Tools capable of repeatable precision is your greatest need.
Pat Warner has you covered:
http://patwarner.com/
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/2/2015 9:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I have a couple of bosch 1617evs I don't have special bosch guides. Instead I bought the bosch to pc adapter $7 years ago I think.
Get a good combo router, that has fixed and pluge bases. I like the 1617 ...
Some of the others are very good too. As far as off center, I have a centering tool and it works.
--
Jeff