Plunge or non-plunge router better under table?

My point here was that with the large Milwaukee if you depress the coarse adjustment knob, the router motor completely falls out of the base if mounted under the table and you do not guard against this. The Bosch 1617 router is fixed base with coarse and fine tune adjustment and one of the first with this style adjustment but the motor will not drop out of the base when mounted upside down. The motor raises and lowers straight up and down like the Milwaukee with out having to spin the motor round and round to make height adjustments but to remove it from the base you have to turn the motor in the base about 1/8 turn to remove it. Milwaukee should have had some type of similar safety to prevent the motor from dropping out.

Agreed, and a very expensive setup as this router needs to be mounted with a lift to be able to make coarse and fine adjustments quickly.

Exactly, except the Triton has eliminated this trait. The router basically converts to a fixed base like router with the twist of a lock knob. In the hanging under a table position, you turn a lock in one of the handles and then the router will no longer plunge. You then engage a release on the handle and then turn the handle to raise or lower the motor. Let go of the release on the knob and the motor locks in at that position and then you can fine tune that position with another fine tune knob. No lifting at all on your part.

And having to adjust the depth stop constantly would

The Triton only needs a wrench to tighten or loosen the collet.

Sorta, it is designed so that you can easily remove the spring.

Yes. I had to learn that 16 years ago with my 1611Bosch.

the motor to roughly where I want and then fine tune from there than deal with a plunger under table. And the 5625-20 is ideal for that.

I wqas not going to buy a router that would not do exactly "that". The Triton works exactly that way when in that "mode". Lock the adjustment handle and the Triton converts back to the plunge style set up. Basically Triton has come up with a router that works like a fixed base and plunge base router.

I agree with you. I was actually going to buy the Milwaukee. I had copies of competitors adds to bargain with, showing the price at $299. But then I compared the Triton to it, both were side by side, and I felt the Triton was better thought out. I have 1 year to see if the Triton lives up to the hype. If it is not up to my expectations with actual use I will probably exchange it for the big Milwaukee.

That's they way I see it.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks to all who posted responses. You guys are the best. You've NEVER let me down when I've needed advice.

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

I understood your "point" the first time, but I still can't understand the need for for any safety mechanism. I have no problems with the Milwaukee motor falling out of the base under my table (and nor should anybody else), because I support it with my hand when making coarse adjustments. It is that simple. I mean, you have to push it up and down to make the coarse adjustment anyhow! Just make sure your hand is there before you press the release.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Ah. Nice. Indeed an innovation. But why bother making it a hybrid plunge / fixed? Who is going to ever use it as a plunger under a table?

I was referring to the plunge depth stop, but apparently this isn't an issue based on its design.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I am not faulting the Milwaukee. I was just doing a comparison of the two routers in this respect. I discovered this when I held the Milwaukee upside down in the store by the housing and almost dumped the motor on the floor when I depressed the coarse adjustment button. If the router is down or extended to the end of the "adjustment screw" and you reach under to lower the bit a bit more by the fine tune adjustment knob, you may not be holding the bottom of the router and you may run out of threads to hold the motor in the base. Not likely but it could happen. It would be something that you should be aware of when making any kind of an adjustment. This simply cannot happen with the Triton and or the current Bosch fixed base routers. I see your point that it is unlikely that it would drop during actual working conditions and 99.9 % of all adjustments under a table.

Reply to
Leon

You probably would not want to use it as a plunge router under the table. But Suppose you remove it from the table and want to use it free hand as a plunge router. You can do that also.

Take a look here for a detailed review. I am not trying to change your mind here. Just a very interesting review with pictures. Note that the review was on the first release routers and the problem areas have been addressed. I read the review including the "1 year later" review about 4 times before seriousely considering the Triton.

Initial review

1 year later review can be found at

Leon

Too big for a freehand router IMO. But that's just me. I'll read the review.

Reply to
Brian

And those with plunge routers who adjust up top like the router guys also have no problem with fine adjust.

All in how you work, I guess.

Reply to
George

Looking at what else he has on his site, it doesn't appear as though he's "reviewed" products he didn't like. In any event, I'm suspect this router will serve you fine. Report back after a couple years' worth of mileage and let us know !

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Their method is so simple, so clear, so obviously superior, I've never understood all the hoorah and market intrest in router raising gadgets costing oodles of dollars. That goes for the expensive fences, too.

As I say on my webpage, Tage Frid had it right viz a vis fences. He had an article on a Fine Woodworking some 20 years ago about it. Piece of wood, and a clamp (he had the other end attached to the table with a bolt, if memory serves; still, it's the same idea as the router guys and their two clamps), that's pretty much it. Nowadays, with UHMW, it's even better.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

At this point if the router simply holds up it will be better than what I have. I have been working with a large Bosch plunger router hanging under the table since 1988. While moving up and down has been an acquired touch, there is so much play that when I let go of the locking lever the bit moves up about 1/16" and over about 1/16".

Reply to
Leon

Just adding my bit to this. I have been using a Bosch router under a table for quite some time now. Following a suggestion in a woodworking magazine, I removed the springs from the router and supported it using an adjustable car jack. I find that I can get some very accurate adjustments to the router.

I must admit that I am using an old Bosch router table, which could do with changing now. So I am saving up to buy a new table, or build one, hopefully later this year.

John

Reply to
John Young