Plug Cutting Slow Learner

I don't think I ever posted this, so here goes, in case it can help someone. I finally got around to using the plug cutter I bought years ago. I'm putting up a lot of door and window trim and don't like nails, so decided to screw and plug everything. It's oak and hickory, so nails are pretty much out anyway.

After boring into a board, breaking out plugs, and trying to cut them off smoothly, I had a better idea. I resawed a scrap of the same wood I was using to about 1/8" thick, then bored it to get the plugs. They push right out of the cutter and are smooth on their faces. I just tap them in the holes with a little glue and they are smooth and even with the finished surface. I prefinish everything before it's put up, so all the plug takes is a spot of varnish. If I use a prefinished scrap to make the plugs, the final varnish is not really needed.

This process is so much better than the breaking out process shown in pictures all over the place I don't see why I haven't heard of it. Enjoy Wilson

Reply to
Wilson

I bore all the plugs onto a suitable board. I then pass that board through on the tablesaw set to an appropriate depth for the resulting plugs. I've also done this on the band saw as well. I find this much faster if many plugs are needed.

Wils> I don't think I ever posted this, so here goes, in case it can help someone.

Reply to
Ray Mandeville

Reply to
tom

tom wrote: > Or resaw the board you've bored. This way you don't have to stop the > presses for each plug. Tom

Add some masking tape before resawing and you keep the grain orientation as well as not having to pick the little buggers up off the floor.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Wilson

Are popping plugs a problem if you use different woods - ie. ebony plugs in a maple table?

Great thread by the way - I hadn't thought of the masking tape.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique