Pliers and Book stand from 1 piece of wood

I saw a bookstand at a local museum carved from a single piece of mahogany. It reminded me of the exercise for newbies, to make a pliers the same way. I'm looking for information on how to make this bookstand. Can any one help me out here?
TIA
TJK

Roy Underhill did an episode of the Woodwright's Shop where he carved a bookstand from a single piece (also showed pliers, ball-in-wood, etc. examples of whittling). IIRC, the basic ideas are covered in "Whittling and Woodcarving" by E.J. Tangerman (all of my books are still in storage until I find a job and can get a place of my own again... otherwise, I'd go look it up directly). I expect many if not most books on whittling would cover the subject to some extent.
Kurt

Kurt:
Thanks for the tip. I never thought of whittling! I'll go look up the Tangerman book at the library.
Thanks, Tjk

It's in one of Roy Underhill books. I've forgotten which one. I might be able to check when I get home if you're interested.

Try an Islamic bookshop. This is a traditional pattern for a Koran stand.
To make your own, the hardest part seems to be making the two deep stopped resaws accurately. I didn't have much trouble with the hinge itself. Mine was in lime (basswood), because I've got lots of it and it's easier carving.