Pliers and Book stand from 1 piece of wood

I saw a bookstand at a local museum carved from a single piece of mahogany. It reminded me of the exercise for newbies, to make a pliers the same way. I'm looking for information on how to make this bookstand. Can any one help me out here?

TIA

TJK

Reply to
tjk

tjk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

Roy Underhill did an episode of the Woodwright's Shop where he carved a bookstand from a single piece (also showed pliers, ball-in-wood, etc. examples of whittling). IIRC, the basic ideas are covered in "Whittling and Woodcarving" by E.J. Tangerman (all of my books are still in storage until I find a job and can get a place of my own again... otherwise, I'd go look it up directly). I expect many if not most books on whittling would cover the subject to some extent.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

Kurt wrote in news:Xns950071DE974EAthorndslonlynet@216.168.3.44:

Kurt:

Thanks for the tip. I never thought of whittling! I'll go look up the Tangerman book at the library.

Thanks, Tjk

Reply to
tjk

It's in one of Roy Underhill books. I've forgotten which one. I might be able to check when I get home if you're interested.

Hylourgos

Try an Islamic bookshop. This is a traditional pattern for a Koran stand.

To make your own, the hardest part seems to be making the two deep stopped resaws accurately. I didn't have much trouble with the hinge itself. Mine was in lime (basswood), because I've got lots of it and it's easier carving.

Reply to
Andy Dingley