Plexiglass for router table - Where to get? Really necessary?

Page 2 of 2
Keep in mind that any flexing of the plexiglass will translate into vibration and wash boarding on the piece of wood your routing. You need something stiff and solid for a base. Especially if you're using a big router motor. Auto glass shops and picture framing stores usually sell plexiglass in small sizes and different thicknesses..

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 05:09:03 -0700 (PDT), KIMOSABE

I would be concerned about the plexi flexing under the load of my 3.25HP router. I installed a Rousseau table insert (RM 3509) but remove the rounter after use. It has two inserts and stabilizing pin. The table plate is concaved to compensate for the weight of the router. Installation involved making a rectangular jig to cut the router table top, using a hand held router.
on 4/2/2009 8:09 AM (ET) KIMOSABE wrote the following:

HD or Lowes has sheets of 1/8" and 1/4" thick. They are about 2'x4' or 2'x3'.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

MSC mscdirect.com

Do you really mean Plexiglas or a generic clear "plastic" sheeting? I would recommend that you look for Lexan (or polycarbonate) sheeting instead of the acrylic that is Plexiglas.

Rockler lists it in their on-line store - http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?pageR95

Transparency can be handy but rigidity and impact resistance are more important.