Please recamend a spray finish system

I need to spray lacquers and clear coats on stained cherry plywood speaker cabinets and I need a pro furniture grade finish. Any suggestions for an hvlp spray rig under 600.00? or is this impossible?

Reply to
audiowood

For 600 you have a choice of many hvlp systems. But you will get the finish you are looking for with less than 600.

Try the earlex

Reply to
woodchucker

er cabinets and I need a pro furniture grade finish. Any suggestions for a n hvlp spray rig under 600.00? or is this impossible?

To expand on Mike's good advice, if you have a good compressor, for a proje ct that small you might try one of HF's CAS low volume spray guns. I use t hem on a fairly regular basis and they have proved to spray as well as just about any gun out there.

If you are spraying clear finishes such as lacquer, poly or shellac make su re you get a gun with a tip no larger than 1.2mm. Even though the poly wil l seem thicker in the cup, don't thin it unless you need to as most of toda y's polys are made to spray as well as brush or pad.

Another thought is to pad the poly on. Since you are probably not worrying about abrasion and water resistance on speakers, a pad finish would give yo u a nice subtle effect with satin poly.

If you are applying lacquer, spray it. It takes a good hand to apply lacqu er with a brush or pad but it is pretty forgiving to spray and fairly easy to fix.

Remember... always practice on your scraps!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

----------------------------------------------------------- Depends.

One part systems can be sprayed; however, two part systems that utilize catalyzed resin require special masks.

Failure to use the proper masks will result in a slow and painful death as the catalyzed resin fumes you breath in harden in your lungs.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And some will kill your liver. A respirator is a must. I have a pump system with air hose , carbon filter that you put in another room, the mask is like a scott mask that firefighters use.

But for those systems I would now use a full suit... I didn't know how much the body would ingest from the skin, but it's more significant than I knew back then.

Reply to
woodchucker

------------------------------------------------------------------ Single use suits with feet, full head cover, gloves, and the Scott mask with air tank like the fire departments use, is the only way to be safe when you are catalyzed LP (Linear Polyurethane) coatings.

You also need a Devilbiss JG gun with a remote pressure pot for best results.

There is a reason boat yards charge upwards of $200/ft of length when they shoot an LP job on a boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett