please help>>Delta truck box key??

A local thrift store has a big plastic Delta truck box that should fit my '82 F-100 pickup (the kind that goes across the back behind the rear window). They want $50, which seems a lot. There's rust inside it (it opens), which must be from tools carried in it, and NO KEY... it has locks and lids on both sides, and I wonder if I should buy it, and try to get a key from Delta (???, or look for one @ junkyards, etc. How do these attach to a truck bed? How much do these boxes cost? I want to make a simple one from plywood, but how weatherproof will it be? Thanks in advance :+) paul

Reply to
paulmbedard

What is the new price? I've seen them in metal for $250

Or try a locksmith, or put a haps and padlock

You can get t hem for $50 at a thrift shop.

How well will you build it and how good is your design?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Rust on the inside, huh? Sounds like a leaker. I suppose a few holes in the bottom might add some ventilation. But I'd hold out for a real metal box, as it's less likely to be penetrated by the miscreants out there. I attached mine to the sides of the bed with jackscrews and bolts. They cost around $100/150 and up. Tom

Reply to
tomeshew

For comparison, price one new. Then decide what the value _to_you_ of having one is. I wouldn't recommend buying "just because it's a bargain", if you don't have _any_ use for it.

*Any* competent locksmith can make keys for it, for not a whole lot of money. Or you may be able to simply replace the tumblers.

A) chewing gum B) something more permanent.

Definitely more than _I'm_ willing to pay.

Probably more than _you're_ willing to pay.

See if you want a more precise answer.

Depends. Do you know how to design/build/finish a weatherproof one or not? Do you have snow/ice sitting in the bed for weeks at a time?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On 18 Mar 2005 23:47:53 -0800, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake:

Don't you DARE put a plastic box in a beefy pickup like that, girly man! Whassamattayou? Those are specifically made for S-10s.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I found a google image of the box, and Pep Boys has them on sale ($69-w/rebate), so it's there I go tomorrow a.m. I have no "girly man" tendencies...I'm 53, and as I write this, my 29 yr old GORGEOUS wife is putting together a chest of drawers on the living room floor (Sauder-ugh!!!)...later it will be her chest and MY drawers! :+) at least my nick doesn't have a Frerah Jahcka in it - this truck will be all-west Georgia - olive drab, blackened chrome, and tyvek for the inside door panels!

Reply to
paulmbedard