Platform / Slat system for a bed

I want to put a platform in a regular bed, instead of a boxspring. I read somewhere that if I put in a simple board it might cause my mattress to get mildew. Should I be concerned?

If so, where can I buy / construct a wooden platform? Any ideas / plans I can see.

The bed is a regular low profile sleigh bed. So it does not have any support built in for the slats or platform. I do have a pair of metal slats running from side to side.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Rajesh Dugar

Hi, Rajesh.

Use wooden slats, say, 2 x 1 (or maybe larger if you and/or your partner are big people!) Cut them to the width of the bed between the rails and lay them in place on the rails. Use a 2" offcut block as a distance piece to space them when you're laying them out.. Run 3 lengths of 2" webbing or cloth lashing tape from the head to foot of the bed, 1 at each side, perhaps

6" in from the ends of the slats, and one down the centre of the slats. Tack or staple the webbing to each slat and screw both ends of the very top and very bottom slat to the rails.

You could, of course, screw every slat in place as you lay it out, but this would make the bed a PITA to disassemble, whereas the webbing system will prevent the slats moving, and all you have to do is unscrew the top and bottom slats and roll the whole lot up to remove it.

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Oops, just spotted that you don't have any side support. Screw and glue a couple of length of 2 x 2 down each side rail to support the slats.

Reply to
Frank McVey