platform box bed frame

I am trying to find a plan to make a bed frame where the box spring fits down in the frame to hide it and the top mattress is the only one showing. I saw it being made on one of the shows on television where they were redoing this couples bedroom but i cant remember what show it was. I want to make a cool bed for my 14 year old son and this bed caught my eye and i would love to know where i could get plans or where i could maybe look for plans. The frame is something like a waterbed frame but it is for a regular king size mattresses. If someone could point me in the right direction or have any tips i would surely appreciate it.
dfritz wrote:

I just built a 4 sided frame out of about 12" wide x 1/2 particle board and secured it to the metal bed frame . It was just wide enough to cover the gap between the matress and the box spring .
A nice paint job in a bright color finished it .
dfritz wrote:

How about a torsion box to replace the box spring?
One of the projects on my list is a bed for the little one. I'm thinking about not having a box spring and just using a torsion box. I will probably make it in at least two sections for weight and moving reasons. Any reason a box spring is needed instead of just a slab of plywood? A twin size could probably get by with a sheet of mdf with no other support.
Any reason a box spring is needed instead of just a slab of

It's important, if you go to a springless setup to have one of those independent-spring type mattresses, otherwise things can get a bit too firm. Want to be especially conscientious about flipping the mattress, too.
Had you considered the non-"box" types as are used on bunks, cribs and such? They'd provide some give and some air.