Plate jointer

I want to buy a Plate Jointer and what I thought would be an easy decision, Has turned into a "Spec" nightmare. I'm leaning toward the PC 557. Should I be leaning a different direction?

You get the most features for the price with that one. You are also looking for the Type III. You would need to go to the much more expensive Lamello to do better.
I would like to try to keep this around $200.00. Is the type III just the newest version of the 557?

I bought my 557 at Amazon for $140. There are specials now and then unless you need it now.

You suck!
Dave (who paid about $200 IIRC)
toller wrote:

unless
I paid $180, if you put the tool in your amazon shopping basket it will decrease to $180 for a day every 7 days or so. I have never seen it at $140 but you can also use the standing $25 discount on purchases over $200 to bring the price down to $155 which is fair.

It is the most current version. If you find some exceptionally good deal it may be a Type II. You do not want the Type II. The Type III should be in the price range that you have indicated.

If you can't get an acceptable price on the PC557 type III, there are more than a few of us more than satisfied with the DeWalt plate jointer. These two seem to be at that $200 & down sweet spot, price/feature/durability considered.
And now that the two of them will have the same corporate parent, I hope some other company steps up with a competitive product.
If you don't feel the need to do smaller than #0 biscuits, the DeWalt does what the PC does.
Patriarch
Tom wrote:

decision,
Should I

I have used several plate jointers, including the 557, and I would recommend the Makita 3901. It is smoother, and more precise, IME.

For the serious wooddorker, the consensus seems to indicate that the 557 type III is more than adequate. If you are going to do a lot of it, and you insist on high precision, buy the Lamello.
....annnnnd, regardless of which brand you chose, and I have said this many times before...buy Lamello bisquits, they're simply better.
Thank you all for the advice. I was surprised at how fast I got responses to my question.. Tom